• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Wheatear population in your country (1 Viewer)

Maffong

Hello to all,
for the introduction of my master's thesis I try to gather the most recent data about breeding Northern Wheatears in Europe (and elsewhere if available). Currently I have found the following numbers and would be very glad if you could point me to more robust, more recent or missing data if available:

Austria 15.000-20.000 pairs (Atlas der Brutvögel Österreichs, 1993)
Germany 4.200-6.500 territories (ADEBAR, 2005-2009)
France 8.000-13.000 pairs (INPN, 2013)
Netherlands 280-320 pairs (vogelbescherming.nl, 2016)
Switzerland 40.000-60.000 pairs (vogelwarte.ch, 2013-2016)
Spain 326.000-361.000 pairs (Purroy 1997, in Atlas de las aves reproductoras de Espana, 2002)

Any help is appreciated

Kind regards
Maffong

FWIW, global estimate is, ah, broad in range:
https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/103773898/132192232#population

These guys apparently did at least two European population surveys within the past decade or two:
https://www.ebcc.info/
I'm also seeing a mention of a European population survey by BirdLife International.
This may be helpful:
Klvaňová, A., Škorpilová, J., Voříšek, P., Gregory, R.D., Burfield, I., 2010. Population trends of European Common Birds 2010. Pan-European Common Bird Monitoring Scheme

I'm not finding much about North America. Here's some interesting info about migration routes into North America, but no population numbers attached:
Two geographically separate populations of Northern Wheatears breed in North America. In fall the western population migrates southwestward and the eastern population migrates southeastward, both wintering in Africa with as many as 22 other species of wheatears.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back