• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something completely unexpected (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

So I went into the Kitchen about 30 minutes ago to brew myself a mug of char, looked out of the window to see who/what was around and there on the birdbath was a Buzzard! Repeat, a Buzzard!

Now I have had just one Buzzard recorded in the garden in the 43 years that we've been here but that one landed for a few moments of the top of the electricity pole at the garden edge, this one.........

Most of you may have seen photos of our birdbath but here it is anyway (taken back in August). Note the size of the Woodpigeons and translate that to a Buzzard.

What it was doing there don't ask, it was raining at the time so I wouldn't have thought a drink. No photo I'm afraid, it took off almost as soon as I spotted it.

Bill

Attachments

• DS wood pigeon 2 on bath 2.jpg
    DS wood pigeon 2 on bath 2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 31
Wow Bill, lucky you fancied a cuppa when you did!!

I reckon it had been worming in a ploughed field and needed to wash its feet. A Buzzard has to look its best you know.

I've had one land in the garden too, but with small pet rabbits running about that's hardly surprising.

I bet you had to look twice!! what a smashing view you had, we just never know when something new is going to make an appearance and I think it is great when nature springs such surprises--------she has a way of keeping us on our toes !!

Cd

Lucky lucky you Bill, that must have been an exciting sight to see. Most definitely a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Hi Bill Pity no pics, but what a nice surprise, Ive seen more buzzards on the ground this year than I can ever remember, sadly I have no idea what they are doing there.

All the Best PeterK

Hi folks,

Yes, just goes to show what you're probably missing when you're not looking out of the window!

Peter, Buzzards eat earthworms.

Bill

WOW Bill!!!!!!
I bet you couldn't believe your eyes?...I've had them overhead but never in my garden!!!
What a tick for your garden list eh?
Best wishes,

Ooooooh Bill you lucky so-and-so!! I bet you thought you were seeing things!!
Only ever seen a Buzzard a couple of times, and they were flying so high!! so to have one actually land in your garden!!! :eek!: I repeat "Lucky, lucky, you".
Shame you didn't have time to get one of your lovely photos, still......maybe next time......and just how did it fit on that bath??
All the Best Bill,
Judo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back