• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siberian (tristis) Chiff Chaff (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
I've been doing the rounds on various sites this morning and found that there's a possible sighting of the above mentioned at Ogston Res in Derbyshire.

I've tried to get as much info as poss on this bird. Back at the beginning of last year, authorities still hadn't recognised it as a sub-species despite subtle differences and therefore classed it as a race of the common Chiff Chaff.

Now almost two years have past, I was wondering if authorities still classed it as a race of the common Chiff Chaff or it was a seperate species?

If I was to go and if I was to see it would I be able to tick it off as a lifer?

Any info would be great.

Billy Boy

I think tristis is still regarded as a race of the Common (Collybita) Chiffchaff and as far as I know there aren't too many calls for this to be changed. In BWP it suggests there is a clinal shift between abietinus and tristis, rather than a sharp disjunction in forms, so it would perhaps be difficult to say that they 'deserve' to be a distinct species. Having said that, a good tristis is a great bird to look at so would be well worth seeking out. I found one last autumn in Anstruther and it was one of the best birds I saw all year - beautiful greyish looking bird, with a neat supercillium and delicate pale wing bar. I should get along to Ogston and have a look for it anyway.

Thanks for that Fifebirder. I might just get myself down there later and see what I can find.

Billy Boy

I'm with Fifebirder here. Tick or not, this is a new bird for you not far away from home. If you can relocate it you may be able to confirm the ID - it was reported as a probable yesterday.

If you keep a list against the BOU list it may become a tick in the future and it may even "count" as a full species already according to some lists. Either way it will still be a great bird to see.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Billy Boy said:
Back at the beginning of last year, authorities still hadn't recognised it as a sub-species despite subtle differences and therefore classed it as a race of the common Chiff Chaff.

Hi Billy,

Not sure if you meant to say "recognised it as a species" there - but in modern ornithology, a subspecies is the same as a race, the two terms are used interchangeably

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back