Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your most anticipated futures books

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Saturday 19th September 2020, 16:54   #501
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Nor mine & it's only a week to my birthday (a big one!).
21 again, John?
MJB
Old Saturday 19th September 2020, 16:55   #502
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
- The book is filled with ads, especially rather unsightly QR codes pointing to the Cornell internet library. There are also numerous logos etc., a bit like a dress of a pro sportsman.

I don't like these codes either, are the ones in previous versions now redundant due to the Cornell takeover?

Quality, cheap paper and cheap printing is evident in many books today. More and more printing errors, colour issues, pages that aren't guillotined properly or at all. Compare to old editions of the same book where possible and it's very evident, yet they still aren't cheap.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 19th September 2020 at 16:59.
Old Wednesday 23rd September 2020, 00:03   #503
mjh73

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I don't like these codes either, are the ones in previous versions now redundant due to the Cornell takeover?
Links to the associated eBird page

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 23rd September 2020, 05:08   #504
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh73 View Post
Links to the associated eBird page
Thanks.
Old Wednesday 30th September 2020, 17:48   #505
Melanie

A new Lynx field guide:

Birds and Mammals of the Galapagos

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/bird...the-galapagos/
Old Thursday 1st October 2020, 15:33   #506
aeshna5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
A new Lynx field guide:

Birds and Mammals of the Galapagos

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/bird...the-galapagos/
Shame they couldn't have included reptiles as well to make it more comprehensive, though these islands have already been well covered in previous texts. Not sure if there have been many splits since the last of these.
Old Thursday 1st October 2020, 16:10   #507
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshna5 View Post
Shame they couldn't have included reptiles as well to make it more comprehensive, though these islands have already been well covered in previous texts. Not sure if there have been many splits since the last of these.
Swash and Still includes the reptiles and worked well when I visited a few years ago.

Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 1st October 2020, 16:11   #508
Mysticete

Honestly, I kind of want to see the Handbook of ... of the world series cover reptiles and amphibians next. I would find that more interesting than these guidebooks
Mammal: 233 Herp: 174
Old Friday 2nd October 2020, 18:17   #509
aeshna5

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Swash and Still includes the reptiles and worked well when I visited a few years ago.

Niels
Yes, I have this, so wondered the need/desire for this new book?
Old Tuesday 6th October 2020, 20:48   #510
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2020

Finally ordered All the Birds... from Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
................brings me to my biggest niggle with the book: the bloody taxonomic order!!! AARGH! Passerines aren't too bad but poxy Non-passerines are a mare! See attached to get my meaning...

Other than that it's well laid out with a nice (but depressing at the same time) part-illustrated list of extinct birds.
Only other issue is that the paper used is fairly thin....can see the print thru pages and I'd imagine very easy to accidentally rip it too...so beware!
Have finally become convinced to order this single-volume version as well. Reason for my reversal of the earlier decision came from studying the sample plate on the gallinules. I noticed not only that the "Purple Swamphen" has now been split into several species. That much was foreseeable, actually. But each "new" species now comes with its separate distribution map. That is much easier for me than trying to locate the separate areas from the lumped map in the two-volume Illustrated Checklist. Not sure how often this will actually matter, but Lynx sure managed to get me caught in the well prepared net.
On the side, I also tried the QR code from the sample page, and sure enough, it worked. And while I would not have ordered for this feature, I still feel it is a nice addition.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Tuesday 6th October 2020 at 20:51.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th October 2020, 19:58   #511
John Cantelo

I see that the European Breeding Bird Atlas 2 is now available from Lynx at the pre-publication price of 70€ (full price 90€) until the end of November with publication in early December.
https://www.lynxeds.com/product/euro...ce-and-change/

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Monday 12th October 2020, 19:59   #512
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
Have finally become convinced to order this single-volume version as well. Reason for my reversal of the earlier decision came from studying the sample plate on the gallinules. I noticed not only that the "Purple Swamphen" has now been split into several species. That much was foreseeable, actually. But each "new" species now comes with its separate distribution map. That is much easier for me than trying to locate the separate areas from the lumped map in the two-volume Illustrated Checklist. Not sure how often this will actually matter, but Lynx sure managed to get me caught in the well prepared net.
On the side, I also tried the QR code from the sample page, and sure enough, it worked. And while I would not have ordered for this feature, I still feel it is a nice addition.
I pre-ordered mine and am still waiting - apparently, it's being reprinted.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Tuesday 13th October 2020, 05:09   #513
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
I pre-ordered mine and am still waiting - apparently, it's being reprinted.
Does this imply quality issues with printing / binding, perhaps they've noticed the transluscence of the paper that some have mentioned?

Did they mean just yours, a whole batch or all of them?
Old Tuesday 13th October 2020, 09:44   #514
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Does this imply quality issues with printing / binding, perhaps they've noticed the transluscence of the paper that some have mentioned?

Did they mean just yours, a whole batch or all of them?
I've now heard back from my supplier. Mine is one of the last first print runs of the book and they have just arrived in the UK so it should arrive soon. I don't think there's any quality issue just a higher demand than anticipated.

Old Wednesday 14th October 2020, 19:08   #515
John Cantelo

Anyone who's read Jon Dunn's fabulous 'Orchid Summer' will want his forthcoming book 'The Glitter in the Green - In Search of Hummingbirds' (Pub. 'Basic Books' - evidently an American firm part of the Hachette Book Group). I'm no botanist or orchid fancier and only bought his first book because I knew Jon years back when he lived in Kent but even I found his book un-put-downable'. This is far more to my taste even if I've only seen three hummingbirds. I'm not sure when it's due out (it's yet to be listed as far as I can see on their website) but it's well worth looking out for ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Glitter in the Green.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	739824  

Last edited by John Cantelo : Wednesday 14th October 2020 at 19:10.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: