• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of East Africa -Field Guides (1 Viewer)

Carol Rushton

https://wordery.com/birds-of-east-a...ehj_g4YsvRCDjUzcawfpZ9z25WTH8ReoaAlHKEALw_wcB

I am hoping to visit Tanzania and Kenya, in the near future . Is the above Field Guide the best one, please ?

Having read the Sticky thread about best field guides in Africa, I saw that this one is recommended. I also read there that Swissboy said that a new edition was due to be released in 2017. However, I can only find one that was last published in 2006 ?

Does anyone know when the revised edition will be published please ?

Thank you for, in advance, for your help.

Kind regards, Carol

Hi Carol, your link doesn't display properly for me so don't know the book you refer to?

This is due as you can see in Nov 19

Birds of East Africa 2nd edition

Terry Stevenson & John Fanshawe; Illustrated by Brian E Small & John Gale

Available from 21 November 2019. Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi. 640 pages.

This would be the one for now.....

https://www.wildsounds.com/cgi-bin/...Kenya-and-Northern-Tanzania.shtml&Terms=kenya

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your continued help.

Apologies that my link did not work.

Yes it was the Stevenson and Fanshaw book that my link referred to. I couldn't find anywhere the publication date for the new edition, so thank you so much for letting me know that November 2019 date.

That is a little too long to wait, so thank you for supplying the link to an alternative.

Best wishes, Carol

Just an FYI: the second edition of the Stevenson/Fanshawe book has been listed as forthcoming, with rolling dates, for several years. It has obviously missed those dates in the past. So I wouldn't bet the farm on it actually being published in November 2019 – or even being published at all.

Thank you Jim.

Which publication (s ) would you suggest as an alternative , for me, please?

Kind regards, Carol

No real alternative in terms of something more recent that I'm aware of--the first edition is what we have to be happy with for the time being. Though the second edition of the too-large-for-field-use Birds of Africa South of the Sahara, by Sinclair & Ryan, which came out in 2010, will include a more up-to-date overview of the same species. Birds of Kenya and No. Tanzania by Zimmerman, et al., which I don't own, is also said to be a useful supplement, though it came out in 1999.

Last edited:
…………...
I also read there that Swissboy said that a new edition was due to be released in 2017. However, I can only find one that was last published in 2006 ?

...............….Kind regards, Carol

Carol, I ended up getting that first edition for our 2016 trip. Got a soft cover version despite the fact that I already had the same book in hardcover. I did not want to spoil that one, and the softcover book did a great job. Of course, should a new edition come out, I might go for it. But at any rate, the first edition will be adequate if you plan your trip in the next year.

Carol, I ended up getting that first edition for our 2016 trip. Got a soft cover version despite the fact that I already had the same book in hardcover. I did not want to spoil that one, and the softcover book did a great job. Of course, should a new edition come out, I might go for it. But at any rate, the first edition will be adequate if you plan your trip in the next year.

Thank you, Robert, that's very helpful to know

Kind regards, Carol

Hi Carol, I have just returned from a holiday/Safari in East Kenya and found the Stevenson and Fanshawe book to be a tremendous companion. No one on my trip, including the guides, were particularly interested in or knowledgable about birds so I had to do everything myself and the guide was excellent. In spite of the small maps the ranges proved to be remarkably accurate and the layout really easy to use. It isn't going to fit in your pocket but easy to throw in a rucksack if tou don't mind it getting a bit dog-eared!

Hi Carol, I have just returned from a holiday/Safari in East Kenya and found the Stevenson and Fanshawe book to be a tremendous companion. No one on my trip, including the guides, were particularly interested in or knowledgable about birds so I had to do everything myself and the guide was excellent. In spite of the small maps the ranges proved to be remarkably accurate and the layout really easy to use. It isn't going to fit in your pocket but easy to throw in a rucksack if tou don't mind it getting a bit dog-eared!

Thank you Foxy, that's really helpful. I hope that the holiday / Safari went well for you and you had some good birding and mammal watching.

Kind regards, Carol

Just an FYI: the second edition of the Stevenson/Fanshawe book has been listed as forthcoming, with rolling dates, for several years. It has obviously missed those dates in the past. So I wouldn't bet the farm on it actually being published in November 2019 – or even being published at all.

This isn't actually true.

The second edition will be coming out at the end of 2019.

Best wishes, Jim

This isn't actually true.

The second edition will be coming out at the end of 2019.

Best wishes, Jim

What I wrote is true. I have tracked the second edition forthcoming dates over several years since I have been planning a trip to the area for some time. If you have inside info suggesting the second edition will really be coming out at the end of 2019, that is good news, but doesn't make what I wrote untrue in any way.

Last edited:
What I wrote is true. I have tracked the second edition forthcoming dates over several years since I have been planning a trip to the area for some time. If you have inside info suggesting the second edition will really be coming out at the end of 2019, that is good news, but doesn't make what I wrote untrue in any way.

As Jim is a publisher at Bloomsbury, I think there's a good chance that he does indeed have some 'inside info'.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back