• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camps in Etosha (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Anyone any thoughts on the relative merits of the three main camps in Etosha. I'll be there in August and mammals are just as much of a priority as birds.

Cheers

Okaukuejo is generally the best in that it is surrounded by the highest concentrations of game and that it has by far the best waterhole for night observations - clouds of nightjar here, plus owls, as well as your best chance of Black Rhino. Namutoni I would place as second, again some very good waterholes nearby.

The middle camp however is located in slightly different habitat and will result in a few bird species unlikely elsewhere in Etosha and so is also worth a visit.

To be honest, the logical thing to do, time depending, is stay at all of them, enter the reserve at one gate, then move along the camps, then exit at the other gate.

Last edited:
Ta Jos

I will be going them all. At the moment I'm planning on 5 nights there, it's how I dIvide those 5 nights. Probably 2 at Okaukuejo and Namutoni and 1 at Halali? I seem to remember one was good for honey badger, which is a lifer, do you know which one that is?

Mana Pools in Zimbabwe is amazing for Honey Badgers, several visiting every night, but that information isn't much use to you.

I have not seen Honey Badger at Etosha if my memory serves me well, but I have certainly spent a lot more time at the Okaukuejo camp than the others and I suspect Halali is the one that most regularly attracts Honey Badger. Not hinting you should violate park rules or feed the animals, but if you should accidently leave scraps of your dinner under your car, with plates and tins propped above, they will wake you during the night with the din ;)

Mana Pools in Zimbabwe is amazing for Honey Badgers, several visiting every night, but that information isn't much use to you.

I have not seen Honey Badger at Etosha if my memory serves me well, but I have certainly spent a lot more time at the Okaukuejo camp than the others and I suspect Halali is the one that most regularly attracts Honey Badger. Not hinting you should violate park rules or feed the animals, but if you should accidently leave scraps of your dinner under your car, with plates and tins propped above, they will wake you during the night with the din ;)

Well I can be forgetful with food.

Once that **** is out of power I'll be in Zimbabwe like a shot doing my best to help out their ruined economy.

Once that **** is out of power I'll be in Zimbabwe like a shot doing my best to help out their ruined economy.

I lived there for six months and, at that time, it truly was amongst one of the best states in Africa - fantastic wildlife, amazing contrasts of landscapes and an infrastructure and level of service matched only by the countries to the south.

The latter has certainly been screwed, but I hear the wildlife is faring well considering, hopefully things will settle before to long, I suspect it will take the death of an old man.

That said, have also spent about eight months in Namibia and that I would also rank amongst the best in Africa, so I believe you will not be disappointed ;)

A chap photographed one near the campfire in Savuti, Botswana, when I was resting in the tent 10 meters away... :-C

That's unlucky ...or anti-social of the guy not to alert you!

My only daytime Honey Badger was in Botswana, a lone animal trundling alone late afternoon Lake Ngami.

Halali used to have Honey Badgers that would knock over trashcans during the night. I haven't seen them on my last two visits though.

Cheers,
Benji

I saw a Honey Badger in the campsite at Halali in October 2008, with the camp guards saying they were nightly visitors then. I seem to remember the noise of a bin getting knocked over helped me track it down.
This campsite was also good for Af Scops Owls and S White-faced Owls.
I agree that 2 nights at Okaukuejo, 1 at Halali, and 2 at Namutoni would be a good way of doing it. We regretted only having one night at Okaukuejo - in only a couple of hours at the end of October 2008 we saw 7 Black Rhino, male Lion and 2 White Rhino (which have been re-introduced recently).
Having said that I thought that Halali was the most attractive camp and was best for birding.
Whichever way you do it though I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back