• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Pond Heron - Thailand May 2020 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

Just back home from bird watching Attached picture is a pond heron that I have ID as a Indian Pond Heron.

The area in Phetchaburi id full of Javan Pond Herons, and there are many many of them. But I spotted two of this birds.

I have a thumb of rule with the pond herons in breeding plumage
Dark all the way: Chinese
Light half way and then dark: Java
Light all the way: Indian

And the bill have the right colours for Indian, checked when I got home. But my eBird say that this is a rare bird when I do my checklist, of course, I don't know what they mean by rare.

Appreciate if anyone could confirm my ID, also appreciated if anyone can confirm at as a Javan

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 60

Just back home from bird watching Attached picture is a pond heron that I have ID as a Indian Pond Heron.

The area in Phetchaburi id full of Javan Pond Herons, and there are many many of them. But I spotted two of this birds.

And the bill have the right colours for Indian, checked when I got home. But my eBird say that this is a rare bird when I do my checklist, of course, I don't know what they mean by rare.

Appreciate if anyone could confirm my ID, also appreciated if anyone can confirm at as a Javan

Aladdin

Essentially that means you should provide some details of the sighting, for example attaching your image to the report, and write what ever other details might be relevant.

Niels

Essentially that means you should provide some details of the sighting, for example attaching your image to the report, and write what ever other details might be relevant.

Niels

Thank you!

Yes, this is what I do, but it makes me doubt my ID. This time it was OK because I have pictures. But for an example, the last two days I have reported birds that have never been reported before.

And this is no strange birds, normal birds and I never managed to get a picture because the birds was scared. I have also skipped the bird from the report in some cases.

I understand that this is also depending on if people are using eBird or not. I was in Ethiopia and many many of the birds was reported for the first time, but I had a Guide that confirmed the IDs for me

Aladdin

Thank you!

Yes, this is what I do, but it makes me doubt my ID. This time it was OK because I have pictures. But for an example, the last two days I have reported birds that have never been reported before.

And this is no strange birds, normal birds and I never managed to get a picture because the birds was scared. I have also skipped the bird from the report in some cases.

I understand that this is also depending on if people are using eBird or not. I was in Ethiopia and many many of the birds was reported for the first time, but I had a Guide that confirmed the IDs for me

Aladdin

If you truly believe the id, you should report with a couple of words about why you believe the id to be correct. The worst that can happen is that the observation is left unconfirmed, but still occurring in your own list. Better, a reviewer might believe you and make it confirmed, or data from others might mean this becomes confirmed later.

Niels

If you truly believe the id, you should report with a couple of words about why you believe the id to be correct. The worst that can happen is that the observation is left unconfirmed, but still occurring in your own list. Better, a reviewer might believe you and make it confirmed, or data from others might mean this becomes confirmed later.

Niels

Thank you!

I don't really understand how the eBird is working. But it was interesting with your comment Better, a reviewer might believe you and make it confirmed

I knew about the reviewer, I got an e-mail from Japan 4 days ago about my checklist https://ebird.org/checklist/S54649439Regarding the White Wagtail that I had put down as a (ocularis)

I knew it was a White Wagtail (Black-backed/lugens). I made this remark and I had made a remark Black-backed/lugens and I had attached pictures.

The Black-backed/lugens option was not available, but he told me how to do it.

My checklist have the eBird remark: Possible or probably and that is even if I have attached pictures. I can say that most, almost all of my observations are possible.

But when I put BREEDING CODE: UN Used Nest (enter 0 if no birds seen) (Confirmed) it gets confirmed instantly

But I learn a little everyday and it is fun. I have had a few emails from eBird reviewer and they are always friendly and helpful

Aladdin

Thank you!

But when I put BREEDING CODE: UN Used Nest (enter 0 if no birds seen) (Confirmed) it gets confirmed instantly

But I learn a little everyday and it is fun. I have had a few emails from eBird reviewer and they are always friendly and helpful

Aladdin

The confirmed with breeding code is unrelated to a sighting being confirmed. In this case it means that the species is confirmed to be breeding there

Aladdin

Your bird is indeed a summer plumage Indian Pond Heron, the combination of uniform sandy coloured head/breast and maroon scapulars confirm.

Regarding IPH status in Thailand its an uncommon passage migrant (Apr-May) and (presumed) winter visitor. Pond Herons cannot be identified in winter plumage resulting in the species very likely being overlooked. During the past month 14 individuals (1-2 birds) have been reported from 11 localities ranging between the Gulf provinces in the south to Chiang Mai in the north.

Grahame

Last edited:
The confirmed with breeding code is unrelated to a sighting being confirmed. In this case it means that the species is confirmed to be breeding there

Thank you!

This I didn't knew, I thought it was the bird that was confirmed. That explains why it get a instant confirmation when I report bids in nest.

Kind regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

Your bird is indeed a summer plumage Indian Pond Heron, the combination of uniform sandy coloured head/breast and maroon scapulars confirm.

Regarding IPH status in Thailand its an uncommon passage migrant (Apr-May) and (presumed) winter visitor. Pond Herons cannot be identified in winter plumage resulting in the species very likely being overlooked. During the past month 14 individuals (1-2 birds) have been reported from 11 localities ranging between the Gulf provinces in the south to Chiang Mai in the north.

Grahame

Cheers!

Yes, this is the first time I see the Indian Pond Heron in Thailand. But I have seen others reported them on eBird.

During the winter I just report them as pond herons as you, impossible to ID them

KIdn regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back