• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Tabanus sp (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
This horsefly was about 20mm in length. I haven't got a key for the Tabanus species. Is it possible to Id this from the two photos?

I thought it might be Large Marsh Horsefly T.autumnalis from a bit of picture matching!

Attachments

• 600D_32137.jpg
    600D_32137.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 600D_32140.jpg
    600D_32140.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 22
This horsefly was about 20mm in length. I haven't got a key for the Tabanus species. Is it possible to Id this from the two photos?

I thought it might be Large Marsh Horsefly T.autumnalis from a bit of picture matching!

20mm would be a bit big for bromius, but otherwise looks right.

20mm would be a bit big for bromius, but otherwise looks right.

Thanks Ficedula

Unfortunately I didn't have my pot with the scale on the bottom as I was supposed to be picnicing with the wife! I think I tend to overestimate the length of small insects.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back