• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Columbia Bird ID please (1 Viewer)

alanp

Hi,

Saw these birds last week in and around Vancouver.

I have no idea what bird No one is saw it at the George Reifel Sanctuary.

I think No 2 may be a Dowitcher

I think No 3 may be a Song Sparrow.

Wondering if No 4 is a White throated Sparrow

Regards from Alan

Attachments

• 1. on path at refel.JPG
    1. on path at refel.JPG
    372.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.  (2) Dowitchers.JPG
    2. (2) Dowitchers.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 3. Song Sparrow N.W. 40 Park. 1st Sept 2018.JPG
    3. Song Sparrow N.W. 40 Park. 1st Sept 2018.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 4. White Throated Sparrow..JPG
    4. White Throated Sparrow..JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Thanks for the bird Id's.

Never thought of No 1 being a juvenile bird it was in the same area at George Reifel
Bird Sanctuary.

Agree, but which?? It has a blackish belly and uniformly dark wings, so isn't Spotted (unless aberrant melanistic); and it's way out of range for California . . .

I think Spotted. I was struck by how dark the juveniles looked when I was in the Pacific Northwest A couple of months ago.

1. Is a juvenile Spotted Towhee of the dark subspecies P. m. oregonus
3. Is a juvenile Song Sparrow of the large rusty subspecies Melospiza melodia morphna. The Fox Sparrows breeding in that part of B.C. are very dark and do not have a streaked back.

I think Spotted. I was struck by how dark the juveniles looked when I was in the Pacific Northwest A couple of months ago.

When I saw the bird it was on the path at the George Reifel Sanctuary. There was a group of birds coming down on to the path including a Spotted Towhee and a Black Eyed Junco. I never thought of it being a juvenile so I guess it was with the adult bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back