• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kite: Petition to Stop Feeding (1 Viewer)

Morning John and All,
Signs of food = Person shovelling food into themselves as seen from the perspective of an airbourne creature that has an eyesight capable of distinguishing a grasshopper at a remarkable distance.

One needs to witness the Wild Sea Eagles in their natural habitat, then in the feeding queue to appreciate their quite apparent domestication, these are amongst the wildest and hardiest of hunters in our Isles. If it were remotely necessary to feed them to aid their survival I would not condem it....however they are fed to preform. Wild animals do not have a choice...they have a strong survival instict to feed

We were lucky enough to have bumped into an old man and his dog who spends 6 months of each year alone in a camper travelling around Scotland and the Hebrides watching the wildlife. Lucky, for in our wild camping explorations over the the last few years we have quite accidently come across him in the most remotest of places. His knowledge introduced us to our first Sea Otters and Sea Eagles, it has been a wealth to us. Since our last meeting we keep in touch. He told me last week that the Whales and Dolphins were known to be displaying signs of 'missing' humans----the tourist with their buckets of fish have not arrived this year and. apparently these majestic 'wild' mammals have begun show withdrawl symptoms. Please be aware that the feeding of the Eagles and Whales is done for no other reason than profit....the otters seem to have stayed aloof to bribery so far as I know...and thus remain a real adventure to track down.

The poisons are pretty evil but sadly necessary. I believe the widly used DDT during my childhood days had a lot to do with the demise of Kites and many other raptor species.

https://homequicks.com/rat-poison-ingredients

Have a good day all

Edwin

There are no Sea Otters in Europe. European Otter inhabits both marine and freshwater habitats. :t:

As for the feeding of Sea Eagles - watch the gulls behind a trawler cleaning its catch sometime. Or the Robin following a gardener. Opportunism is not domestication.

John

I have enjoyed reading this forum for some time, I am very much into ornithology. I am usually found perusing the Bird ID section and enjoy the puzzle aspect of it and admire the knowledge of the gifted few. I rarely comment...and when I do it is no more than a comment, an opinion, no more.

However one thing I have found disconcerting is the the Nit picking argumentative attitudes of a 'minority' who break down every sentence word by word, letter by letter, solely with the intention of either 'Putting themselves up' or putting others down' often in a quite b!tching fashion which I assume would be more at home on an 'Essex Girls---scratch your face off ---Innit' Facebook page. I ardently keep away from Facebook and similar media to escape such trivialities John.....but.... reading through all of you replies, the last in particular, it seems I have failed miserably.

Maybe you should find a hobby, pulling the wings of Flies, tripping up old Ladies on escalators or feeding horses apples laced with cobblers tacks....anything.

Shame, you come over as an intelligent man, or in the very least someone that is trying desperately to come across as one, but sadly entirely at the expense of other forum readers

Have a good day John, thankfully your petty niggling attitude hasn't spoilt mine.

Edwin, you're totally out of order. Don't bring your Facebook shite here please. If you have a problem with someone, send them a personal message and deal with it in private.

Regards

Last edited:
He told me last week that the Whales and Dolphins were known to be displaying signs of 'missing' humans----the tourist with their buckets of fish have not arrived this year and. apparently these majestic 'wild' mammals have begun show withdrawl symptoms. Please be aware that the feeding of the Eagles and Whales is done for no other reason than profit....the otters seem to have stayed aloof to bribery so far as I know...and thus remain a real adventure to track down.

I am not aware of anyone feeding whales in Scotland, let alone doing it as a business. I would be happy for you to supply the details of such businesses.

Have these complainers not given any thought to wiping out the bird population?

Hell, just about everyone has had poop on their cars from different birds.

When you consider the Red kite almost became extinct in the British Isles, with just a hand full of birds holding out in the Talley Valley in Carmarthenshire, i think feeding our native birds can only be a good thing.

Just look at the situation now, the Red Kite has repopulated large areas of the Uk, and a raptor once so rare, is now a fairly common sight in our countryside.

If the feeding of birds can result in the saving of a species, then i am all for it.

Who would have thought, that this morning, i saw a lone Red Kite flying over llandudno.

The chances of that happening not that many years ago, would have been as likely as the EU giving us a dream leaving deal.

Seeing a once very rare majestic bird flying over my home, this morning, has made my day, and if i could encourage them to my locality, with tasty nibbles, i would do it gladly

Last edited:
Have these complainers not given any thought to wiping out the bird population?

Hell, just about everyone has had poop on their cars from different birds.

ha yes. don't you just love those great big purple splodges at this time of the year after the blackbirds and pigeons have been gorging on elder and blackberries. 8-P
It can be annoying (especially if you have just spent two hours cleaning and polishing said car) and certainly does no favours to your paintwork, but as someone earlier said there is no point buying a house by the seaside then complaining about gull poo on your car. Its what buckets and pressure washers were invented for (or garages, car ports etc). There are far more offensive things in life than a few spots of bird poo.

So this petition is basically asking to stop feeding birds which are being reintroduced? I'll be very surprised if this petition is not hurled out of court.

I learned not to put out poisoned rat bait the hard way: the bugger(s) died under our house and the AC was sucking the stench in and whirling it round the house. Now I use oversized moustraps tied to a 1 m steel peg with wire.
But they have to be got rid of because they are snake food and rattlers mooching round the buildings are not an option. The coyotes help as well as they just lurve themselves a fat rat.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back