• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info services (1 Viewer)

seb salas

I've not read the new review in Birdwatching (Jan hasn't come out round my way yet - a tiny place called Manchester!), but what is the best info service available at the moment. (In your own opinion)
I have a pager which is great, but I've never tried anything else ie SMS or emails and things.
I'm mainly after peoples personal experiences and not company self- hype-crap as my pager renewal is due and I'm wondering whether to bother renewing.
Cheers, Seb

Hi Seb,

I use Birdguides website - it's about a tenth the price of a pager, and I can log on to get the details at any time I'm at home (or with access to a computer). When I'm out can be a problem, but you can for a bit extra have the info sent to a mobile phone - still cheaper than a pager, and it has the advantage that you get the messages stored for you when you're in areas with no reception (e.g. much of Northumberland's inland valleys), which you don't with a pager.

Michael

I use Birdguides for when I am at home and their texting service when in the field; this is much cheaper than having a pager as you can tell them exactly which days you want messages and also which areas you are interested in - also levels of rarity, either just new sightings or all updates, exclude non-twitchable birds.

Mine is set for just the days I am out and just first reports of scarce or rarer birds in Leicestershire/Rutland and Lincolnshire plus rare birds anywhere in the Midlands; most days I get nothing at all !! Obviously, if I went to Cornwall I could change it just by amending the pro-forma on their website.

You pay an annual subscription (I pay for texting and website info combined) and this includes 100 text messages; then you can pay for another 100 as and when you need them. I have only used 123 in eight months, and half of those were when I accidentally asked for 'all' messages when I was in Cornwall for a fortnight in September - got about 30 reports of Wrynecks in four days - and did not have a computer to correct the mistake.

Thoroughly recommended.

Steve

I use them too and am a particular fan of the summary email service..... it tells me of all the records in a few counties that interest me and rare stuff elsewhere...

I'm more interested in what I missed when I'm out birding than in the latest info so I can go chasing something though

Steve Lister said:
You pay an annual subscription (I pay for texting and website info combined) and this includes 100 text messages; then you can pay for another 100 as and when you need them. I have only used 123 in eight months, and half of those were when I accidentally asked for 'all' messages when I was in Cornwall for a fortnight in September - got about 30 reports of Wrynecks in four days - and did not have a computer to correct the mistake.

Thoroughly recommended.

Steve

Thanks for your kind words about our service Steve. I just thought I'd point out for your benefit (and for anyone else who might be considering the service) that you can alter your Bird Text Alert settings without access to a computer, by sending "control messages" from your mobile phone. More at http://www.birdguides.com/birdnews/smshowto.asp

Regards

Dave Dunford
BirdGuides Webmaster

Hi Dave,

I know you've been a member for some time, but as this is your first post, let me welcome you on behalf of admin and all the moderators.

;)

I have experience of both pager and web/Email services as I have both a Rare Bird Alert Pager and a subscription to Birdguides - In my opinion you can`t beat the pager for "up to the minute" info whilst the Web Service is great for more detailed information - directions/maps etc. Obviously the sms/text service is significantly cheaper but depending on how much info you want you can be restricted in the number of messages you can save on your phone - also reception on mobiles can be quite poor in alot of areas where I go birding whilst the pager still gives me a good signal. It all comes down to a balance between cost and how much info you feel you need I guess. Incidently I much prefer the Birdguides Web Service to the RBA web service which is significantly less user friendly.

I should also say that using the RBA Pager service you do get a helpful and personal service - I remember Andrew at RBA ringing me 10 minutes after i`d left Attenborough Gravels (and phoning in a no sign of purple heron report)without seeing the Purple Heron to tell me the bird was now showing, allowing me to do a quick 180 and head back!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back