• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonelli's Warbler song - Western v Eastern (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
I'm off to northern Spain for a few days next week. I've never seen Bonelli's Warbler, and I'm trying to learn the song from my Jean C Roche CD, "Bird Songs and Calls of Britain and Europe". Before it becomes ingrained in my mind, can anybody confirm for me that the song on this CD is Western and not Eastern Bonelli's, and if it is Eastern, how different is it from Western??

Thanks

I'm off to northern Spain for a few days next week. I've never seen Bonelli's Warbler, and I'm trying to learn the song from my Jean C Roche CD, "Bird Songs and Calls of Britain and Europe". Before it becomes ingrained in my mind, can anybody confirm for me that the song on this CD is Western and not Eastern Bonelli's, and if it is Eastern, how different is it from Western??

Thanks

The rather abrupt songs sound the same, sımılar to to the rattle, ın the Wood Warbler song. It ıs the call that seperates eastern from western.

I played a western bonellis song to an eastern here ın southern Turkey yesterday and ıt responded...so they must sound very sımılar to the bırds to!

One description that I heard some years ago is that western bonelli sounds like a phylloscopus trying to imitate a lesser whitethroat.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back