• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free Birdwatching Guide to the Algarve PDF (1 Viewer)

Mick Sway

United Kingdom
The "Birdwatching Guide to the Algarve" is available on line here.
The guide is published by the Algarve Tourist Board and would be particularly useful to first time visitors.
I have posted this before, but because the post is more than a year old it only appears on the second page.

I can't find the "Birdwatching Guide to the Algarve" PDF, does anyone know
if the website has been taken down?
Thanks
Mick

Last edited:
Hi Mick,
You've forgotten the link.

with some help, I have just been able to find it again.
I don't know why the original one wasn't working.
Anyway you can still find it here.
There are also more usefull links here.

I like to renew this thread every spring and autumn just in case it's usefull to anyone going out for the first time thanks.
Mick
:t:

Yes thanks for the link it seems very well produced , a few years since I was there but some great birding to be had even late in the year !!!!
Brian

Soon (when there is time!) I will start a thread on this and other migrants around Sagres - but basically up to now just fairly small numbers but a good variety - should be more entertaining in a week or so I should hope. Today 12 species of raptors and a high flying AGP.

Soon (when there is time!) I will start a thread on this and other migrants around Sagres - but basically up to now just fairly small numbers but a good variety - should be more entertaining in a week or so I should hope. Today 12 species of raptors and a high flying AGP.
Thanks for the up-date - I'm sure that I will not be disappointed. Had a great time last year in early September.

Thats a lovely and good folder! I guess its not available in English?

And Q nr 2; We are 3 Swedish birdwatchers going to Sagres/Algarve in early October. Probably we´ll mostly do sea watching from Kap Vicente. But where are the best areas around Sagres (and possibly Lagos/Albufeira) to look for nocturnal passerines (warblers etc)? And which places are the best to follow the raptor migration in westerly or easterly winds respectively? Greatful for any info/advice!

Thats a lovely and good folder! I guess its not available in English?

And Q nr 2; We are 3 Swedish birdwatchers going to Sagres/Algarve in early October. Probably we´ll mostly do sea watching from Kap Vicente. But where are the best areas around Sagres (and possibly Lagos/Albufeira) to look for nocturnal passerines (warblers etc)? And which places are the best to follow the raptor migration in westerly or easterly winds respectively? Greatful for any info/advice!

Q1: Yes - there is an Englidh version on there

Q2: Yes Cabo de São Vicente - best in morning viewing from the north side of the cape. Also - early morning and late afternoon from the south facing Ponta da Atalaia can be excellent - its near the fishing harbour.

Nocturnal passerines - Sagres no doubt! Gardens, abandoned vegetable plots and pine and scrub on the edges of Sagres, Ponta da Atalaia bushes and anywhere on the wider peninsula (c.60 sq kms). Valleys running down to the south side can be fabulous.

Raptors - Sagres no doubt! IMO light N-W best - predominant wind in the area. Easterlies can be OK but things are unpredictable. A "bad" day in early October is good - a good day is great.

I suppose you know about Sagres Bird Festival running 1st-4th Oct?

Thx Simon! I found the English version now. And thx for useful info (both in this link and a few others) regarding birding near Sagres! And yes, we read about the festival. Cant get off work those dates though. Two pallid harriers in Falsterbo, Sweden today. In a week they will be in Algarve!

A few more questions! Are there any subalpine warblers (cantillans) and melodious warblers still around in Algarve in the first half of October? Are the gardens in Sagres the best option? And which is the best Place to look for Dartford warbler in the SW part?

October Warblers

A few more questions! Are there any subalpine warblers (cantillans) and melodious warblers still around in Algarve in the first half of October? Are the gardens in Sagres the best option? And which is the best Place to look for Dartford warbler in the SW part?

The odd sub-alpine can pop up anywhere in the Algarve, though I find them rare this late. As regards melodious I have never seen one during our October visits. Spectacled warbler Sylvia conspicillatacan be found in the scrub near the raptor watch point at Cabranosa, Sagres. Not had any luck with Dartford anywhere but at Foia, where they are pretty common.
I'm sure that someone like Simon will be able to advise you better.
Good luck.
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back