• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow catches Large Fish (1 Viewer)

BrianWH

Sparrowhawk
I was at Carsington the other day in the Wild Life Centre, when there was sudden excitement among the Rangers and Visitors. This Crow had just pulled this fish from the water.
The fish was swimming close to the surface by the bank. The Crow was browsing along the shore and spotted the fish and grabbed it and pulled it onto the bank. The shot shows the fish still struggling to return to the water, but the Crow kept pulling it away again. He eventually pecked at the head until the fish gave up.
As the Fish was on the surface it may well have not been well anyway, but still a large catch for the Crow.

See Gallery

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/522021/ppuser/121449

Has anyone known a UK Crow to catch fish before?

That's an amazing tale Brian and a super picture too.

I'd be fascinated to find out if this behaviour has been seen before.

That is impressive. I guess that corvid intelligence allows them to take advantage of unusual opportunities like this. Did other crows come to join in eating the fish? That's too much fish for one crow I assume.

That is impressive. I guess that corvid intelligence allows them to take advantage of unusual opportunities like this. Did other crows come to join in eating the fish? That's too much fish for one crow I assume.

There was one other Crow there when I left awaiting his turn. They were not feasting together like other scavangers.

I have other shots if anyone is interested.

Me! I'd like to see the other shots, please, Brian!

Here you are then Kits.

1. Crow stopping Fish struggling
2. Crow not knowing what to do next
3. Crow eating fish with another waiting his turn

Attachments

• Crow with Fish.jpg
    Crow with Fish.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 70
  • Crow with Fish 2.jpg
    Crow with Fish 2.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Crow with Fish 3.jpg
    Crow with Fish 3.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 67
Amazing. A few years ago, I watched a Crow/Rook (I forget which) eating frogs on the bank of the lagoon at Bowling Green Marsh and like your scenario, there were others waiting close by for their turn at the scraps.

Regards,
Andrew.

Hi Brian, glad you enjoyed the action.

In the wildlife centre we watched for the rest of the afternoon, by the end the two crows had only gotten through about half the fish. It looked like a pair to me, they closely associated, weren't territorial, but typically for crows wouldn't actually share the food item at the same time. One has to wait for the other, when it comes to food it's like there is always a calculation going on within what is otherwise a very strong pair bond.

It shows that Corvids are bright, and they know what side their bread is buttered on. :-O

I wonder how much of the fish he/she ate, and if his/her Crow friends joined in

Interesting video with the Heron using bread as bait :-O

Regards
Kathy
x

During a recent stay in Wales I was fortunate enough to watch a crow fly over the lake, then drop to the surface of the lake on five different days / occasions and on four attempts the crow caught small fish. On the fifth occasion, I can't say for definite that the crow caught anything. On each catch occasion the crow took the fish to the bank, killed it, then I presume flew off to a nest?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back