• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

48 years between sightings! (1 Viewer)

And with that, I think I'll have to concede my early lead...in fact, were Austrian birds countable as self-sustaining in 2015? If not, then strictly speaking you're at 51.5. I'd love to not beat either record by seeing a fully-spooned Pom somewhere this spring (49.5)!

I think I'm right in saying that there's at least one record by 2015 of a tracked bird from the Pyrenees visiting the Alps!:eek!:
MJB

You’re still the leader under the ‘in the same country’ rule (see Post 1) KB, but Mike’s over half a century gap has the World lead :t:

I also read somewhere about a (or some) Pyrenees-born Lammergeier(s) having been logged in the Alps, not sure whether there has been breeding proved up to now though. It’s hopefully only a matter of time thanks to the réintroductions that have been done in some areas between the two mountain ranges (Verdon gorge, Cévennes etc) which break up the gap.

Can't get anywhere close to 48 years personally, but my local reserve (Upton Warren, Worcs.) had its second Glaucous Gull record last month, it us still roosting on occasion, just over 48 years after the only previous record.

I saw my first Mandarin ducks on the village green pond when I was 4 or 5 near Epsom. The next would have been a flock of 7 at Broomfield Reservoir when I was at Sheffield Uni (don't know which year) but presumably 15+ years later.

Can't think of any other specific birds that were longer (and yes, pretty plastic I know).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back