• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrike ID from Al Ain, UAE, 16.09.2020. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
Saw this Shrike today morning.
Is there a possibility for a Braun Shrike?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• DSC_6117a1.jpg
    DSC_6117a1.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_6125a1.jpg
    DSC_6125a1.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_6116a1.jpg
    DSC_6116a1.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 61
This small whitish patch at the base of the primaries excludes Brown Shirke AFAIK. Looks like a (adult female?) Turkestan Shrike to me...

I agree - not a Brown Shrike for sure. As well as the white primary patch, the bill isn't heavy enough, the head too small and the tail too short (and the outer tail feathers don't appear to be shorter). I'm not sure it's a female Turkestan though, which wouldn't normally have a rufous crown or buff tones on the face - the supercilium is also rather weak for an adult. In fact I'm not completely sure it's Turkestan - it's a bit ambiguous.

Last edited:
Did I suggest Turkestan? Sorry, I meant Daurian - doesn't sound convincing I can imagine ;)
For some reason I tend to always mix up these two names. As for sex and age, I'm really not sure what to make of it...

Did I suggest Turkestan? Sorry, I meant Daurian - doesn't sound convincing I can imagine ;)
For some reason I tend to always mix up these two names. As for sex and age, I'm really not sure what to make of it...

Isabelline shrike for Lanius isabellinus would be an easier name but...
I think we can just make out 2 or 3 juvenile type feathers at the side of the crown in the last image (browner with white margin and subterminal black bar)
which should make it a poorly marked first winter isabellinus as by Tim Worfolk, DB 2000

I have examined a lot of shrikes in my two visits to the Gulf and this one is at the "slightly eyebrow rising" end of the Daurian spectrum, but still far from getting any reasonable pass for anything else. The Daurians are vastly outnumbering the other species according to my experience.

Isabelline shrike for Lanius isabellinus would be an easier name but...
I think we can just make out 2 or 3 juvenile type feathers at the side of the crown in the last image (browner with white margin and subterminal black bar)
which should make it a poorly marked first winter isabellinus as by Tim Worfolk, DB 2000

If it's 1st-winter isabellinus, it's a well-marked one - the eyestripe is thick and black with the beginnings of black on the lores too and it's quite well-barred. On a second look, the buff tones on the face and the extensive gingery flanks rule out phoenicuroides. However, the chestnut cap and rather warmbrown upperparts are not typical of isabellinus, unless they're a product of the light.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back