• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S Thailand raptor id help please (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I took these photos at 9 am Oct 27 at my house near the Hat yai airport.

Photos 1 and 4 are "lightened" versions of photos 2 and 5. Photo 3 may be of a different bird or same as 1/2, not sure:)

There were 4 birds in total soaring/coasting seemingly together as they passed over where I took the photos.

The area is very flat, near the Hat Yai airport. It is mixed residential and farm (rubber trees and rice paddies and cow pastures), not forest in any sense.

I was thinking that photo 4/5 were possibly juv Brahminy Kites but in no way feel confident of that.

Any help and suggestions or identification much appreciated.

thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_e89.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e89.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 52
  • fullsizeoutput_e85.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e85.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 44
  • fullsizeoutput_e86.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e86.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 54
  • fullsizeoutput_e8b.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e8b.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 52
  • fullsizeoutput_e87.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e87.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 40
Hi, thanks very much for the IDs. Would it be usual for these two species to fly together would you know? They did seem to be a loose group of 4. At times at least 3 of them appeared close together.
thanks again
steve

I think #3 may be yet another Oriental Honey Buzzard, but there's not much detail there to make a definite ID (others may feel more confident to do so).
Raptors of different species may congregate particularly during the migration periods, when they'll take advantage of the same thermals.

Thanks, I have seen a number of raptors in the area lately. Unfortunately, for the most part my photos just show blue sky and clouds :)
Thank you for taking the time to id these for me.
all the best
steve

I think #3 may be yet another Oriental Honey Buzzard, but there's not much detail there to make a definite ID (others may feel more confident to do so).
Raptors of different species may congregate particularly during the migration periods, when they'll take advantage of the same thermals.

That was my first thought (as were your other IDs)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back