• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (4 Viewers)

I've been lurking in the thread this year, and living vicariously through the rest of you as the winter doldrums set in here. I figured I'd post an update when I got to 20!

Well....Monday night, sat at dining table. Squirrel darts away from scoffing seeds under the feeders, and I look up to see a Northern Saw-whet Owl! Oh my. I stuttered "Is that....?", thankfully Paul saw it too or I wouldn't have believed it!

Garden life list hits 100 in style! With a lifer owl, on my birthday. Not too shabby! It only hung around for a minute or so. Obviously I have been sat in the same spot at dusk every evening since in the hopes of seeing it again.

Anyhow, 2018 thus far:
1 Hairy Woodpecker 01 Jan 2018
2 Black-capped Chickadee 01 Jan 2018
3 White-breasted Nuthatch 01 Jan 2018
4 Dark-eyed Junco 01 Jan 2018
5 American Goldfinch 01 Jan 2018
6 Downy Woodpecker 01 Jan 2018
7 American Crow 01 Jan 2018
8 Red-breasted Nuthatch 01 Jan 2018
9 Blue Jay 02 Jan 2018
10 Brown Creeper 02 Jan 2018
11 Bald Eagle Yard list, 04 Jan 2018
12 Common Raven Yard list, 04 Jan 2018
13 Pine Siskin 04 Jan 2018
14 Red Crossbill 11 Jan 2018
15 Pileated Woodpecker 19 Jan 2018
16 Purple Finch 24 Jan 2018
17 American Robin 06 Mar 2018
18 Wild Turkey 07 Mar 2018
19 Sharp-shinned Hawk 13 Mar 2018
20 Northern Saw-whet Owl 19 Mar 2018

Welcome back Amy, you've stopped it becoming a parochial European only thread!

No lifer for me today, but a first 'in the garden' species, only ever had one fly-by before:

50 Lesser Redpoll

It first appeared under one of the more distant feeders, then came to a closer one and eventually hopped onto the terrace right in front of the window, very obliging I must say!

Attachments

• Sizerin 22.3.18.jpg
    Sizerin 22.3.18.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 33
It felt a bit more like spring this morning with the sun out and birds moving.

38. Skylark
39. Whooper Swan
40. Pied Wagtail
41. Linnet
42. Redshank

No lifer for me today, but a first 'in the garden' species, only ever had one fly-by before:

50 Lesser Redpoll

hi. i haven't seen one of those, great picture. i have twice seen a bird very similar but no red at all on breast and back paler, hoping to see it again when phone nearby for photo.

my garden visitors in Lymm are listed elsewhere here, all the normal bunch. the most interesting was a male sparrowhawk taking a blackbird in front of me, which in a 6x8m yard was an event of note.

Here's my list.

Southern Finland, city, high-rise. Nice view but very little vegetation in the yard so best on migration times. Not much to see in the winter as can be seen on the list.

1. Goldfinch
2. Hooded Crow
3. Magpie
4. Jackdaw
5. Common Redpoll
6. Great Tit
7. Greenfinch
8. Fieldfare
9. Blue Tit
10. Feral Pigeon
11. Waxwing
12. Blackbird
13. Herring Gull
14. Bullfinch
15. Common Sparrow
16. Goshawk

Been expecting a Sparrowhawk, but not yet. It's still basically winter and migration is just beginning. Hoping to increase the list in the coming weeks.

Here's my list so far, thought I'd post it while I'm still ahead of Jasperpatch. I won't be for long.
Jan 1st
1. Pheasant
2. Buzzard--flyover
3. Woodpigeon
4. Great Spotted Woodpecker
5. Green Woodpecker
6. Kestrel
7. Jay
8. Magpie
9. Rook
10. Coal Tit
11. Marsh Tit
12. Blue Tit
13. Great Tit
14. Goldcrest
15. Starling
16. Dunnock
17. Chaffinch
18. Greenfinch---many more this year, high count of 19 last week.
19. Goldfinch--not many here only 3 max.
20. House sparrow
Jan 2nd
21. Collared Dove
22. Tawny Owl
23. Long-tailed Tit
24. Robin
25. Blackbird
Jan 12th
26. Carrion Crow
Jan 14th
27. Song Thrush
28. Bullfinch
Jan 16th
29. Black-headed Gull--flyover
30. Herring Gull--flyover
31. Fieldfare
Jan 19th
32. Greylag Goose--flyover
33. Redwing
Jan 21st
34. Grey Heron--flyover-went down on neighbours fish pond.
35. Stock Dove
Feb 7th
36. Wren
37. Barn Owl--flyover
Feb 8th
38. Yellowhammer
Feb 12th
39. Red-legged Partridge
Feb 20th
40. Jackdaw--not that common in my garden but this one has an injured wing, very much a pedestrian. Has been here daily since.
Feb 22nd
41. Mallard
Feb 25th
42. Lapwing--flyover flock
Mar 5th
43. Tree Sparrow
Mar 7th
44. Siskin-a male and first for 2 years, two days later a female.
Mar 13th
45. Reed Bunting--first for over 3 years
Mar 16th
46. Linnet--flyover flock
Mar 21st
47. Peregrine--flyover and only 3rd garden record
Today
48. Brambling--a nice male with a lot of extra Chaffinch passing through.

Not seen a Sparrowhawk yet or Skylark, no Redpolls either.

Nice surprise as I arrived home tonight - calling from the hill to my east, not far away at all - a migrant I should think as I've not seen them up there B :)

43. Stone Curlew

Nice surprise as I arrived home tonight - calling from the hill to my east, not far away at all - a migrant I should think as I've not seen them up there B :)

43. Stone Curlew

Stone Curlew would be a nice addition to my garden list. I retired 4 years ago next Monday and they were regular on my work list then. That was only 5 miles away as the Crow flies.

Here's my list so far, thought I'd post it while I'm still ahead of Jasperpatch. I won't be for long
Today
48. Brambling--a nice male w

He he, with my garden list this year currently equalling your January 1st list, I've still got a long way to go to catch up Dad! Although this week marks the first point in 2018 that my year list exceeds your garden list, small victories! 8-P

A frost-free night brought back the overdue

51 Black Redstart

this morning. A smart adult male, it started singing from the very top of the tallest tree around the house.

Last edited:
Just about the first birds I saw on looking out this morning appeared to be a couple of Whimbrel flying south over the sea, view was brief so I was going to pass them off as Curlew until I get a message saying 2 Whimbrel south at the exact same time from Whitburn Obs, which is 350m from my house.

44. Whimbrel

Nothing new from here, but I made a list of listers. :smoke:

At 2018 there is 20 of us.
From UK there are 11, from Finland 3, from France 2, and only one from Portugal, Liettuva, Irland and Canada.

Average garden bird number:
Portugal 43
France 38
UK 37,8
Irland 32
Finland 25,7
Canada 20
Liettuva 17 (I think Jos still keeps one or two birds hidden)

Where is all the other nationalities?

From previous years I can remember there has been American (USA), Australian and Spanish at least.

Good work!

Yes, it's a shame there aren't more folk joining in, it's fascinating to discover what is being seen around the world as seasons change. It's gone cool again here so nothing new, apart from a second Black Redstart arriving and the Yellowhammer finally starting to sing today.

My sentiments entirely Richard - Nice one Warixenjalka :t:

I don't think there is anything online (or anywhere) comparable to this thread. It would be great to get more folk on here with their garden/yard lists - especially from new countries.For me this thread is more about seeing what's around in other areas, especially migrant times etc. rather than the competitive angle. Its a bit of fun though - It gets me looking harder for new birds at home, can't be bad ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back