• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

Actually, Turtle Dove is a very unlikely species to be seen in January, especially so far north. You need to be sure what you saw and should pass the record on to your county recorder.

Steve

I carried firewoods to sauna, when I noticed passerines panic reaction. I looked up and there it was.

Supraisingly good start for this year. Last year I get 20th at March. (Also this can mean that I see next new species at March... or April...) 3:)

I hope you’re not going to stay in your sauna until March Wari, you’ll look like a lobster ;)

Not always annual.....but always appreciated!....out of the gloom, two Mute Swan over the house at 9am. no.43

Hoar frost and frozen waters now, bit of an upswing at the feeders - the highlight being six woodpeckers feeding simultaneously: three Great Spotted Woodpeckers, one Middle Spotted Woodpecker and two White-backed Woodpecker.

Two additions for the year:

16. Goldfinch
17. Siskin

Here it's been more a case of waters overflowing rather than freezing as the heavy snow high up and rain below 1500m caused a lot of local damge and landslides as rivers and streams couldn't cope. Calm conditions today though after some light snowfall overnight. We've suddenly been invaded by Siskins, at least 50 brightening the place up. Their panic calls this morning were justified as a male

33 Sparrowhawk

scooted through. So that's three species of birds of prey this year yet still no Buzzard!

When I opened the curtains this morning, the Little Egret was on the right side of the river (23), a Peregrine was on the radio mast (24) and Moorhen was also added (25) - of those 19 photographed.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Garden - Little Egret.jpg
    Garden - Little Egret.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Clevedon - Peregrine 02.jpg
    Clevedon - Peregrine 02.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 42
That’s a nice idea, photographing the year’s garden birds, a bit tricky for me today as two of the additions are heard only, but a gorgeous day after frost has got birds moving about a bit:
34 Common Crossbill
35 Nutcracker
36 Bullfinch
37 Common Buzzard

A good start considering I totalled 35 in the whole of January last year:t:

Last edited:
Time to post my first list of 2018 for the garden, especially as I added a surprise new garden tick today (taking the lifetime garden list to 68 species, not bad for a smallish urban garden on a housing estate). So, so far:

1. Woodpigeon
2. Magpie
3. Blackbird
4. Blue tit
5. Dunnock
6. Robin
7. Black-headed gull
8. Carrion crow
9. House sparrow
10. Starling
11. Chaffinch
12. Coal tit
13. Great tit
14. Kestrel - new tick for the garden

Time to post my first list of 2018 for the garden, especially as I added a surprise new garden tick today (taking the lifetime garden list to 68 species, not bad for a smallish urban garden on a housing estate). So, so far:

1. Woodpigeon
2. Magpie
3. Blackbird
4. Blue tit
5. Dunnock
6. Robin
7. Black-headed gull
8. Carrion crow
9. House sparrow
10. Starling
11. Chaffinch
12. Coal tit
13. Great tit
14. Kestrel - new tick for the garden

Never underestimate your garden's potential lazza....and particularly the air space above. My airspace is more productive than the "furniture" beneath. :t:

The first Red Kite for this garden - had one four years ago down the street

42 Greylag Goose
43 Canada Goose
44 Red Kite

30 species just this morning !

Steve

Another lovely day, Crossbill singing and first Buzzard territorial flight plus SEVEN Alpine Accentors together just up the road!
One more to add, largely absent this past two months:

38 Fieldfare

30. red-throated diver

Strong winds like we had over the weekend can occasionally push divers and seaduck into the harbour. Red-throat is the most likely of course, but still a good one to get.

One to get you drooling, I would normally spend days scanning the distant mountaisides with the 'scope hoping for this species, so I nearly choked on my lunch as this beauty came gliding down the valley just now:

39 Lammergeier

So, with hopefully Woodpigeon returning soon and the nearby farm's House Sparrows surely due to pay us a visit I should break the magic 40 barrier before the end of the month. After that I might as well sit in the sauna till March like Wari in Finland (except we don't have one:-C)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back