• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (27 Viewers)

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

Barn Owl at 0725 briefly, 11 Curlew, 2 Snipe, 3 Lapwing, 3 Shelduck, 25 Teal, 95 BH Gull, 2 LBB Gull.

Water level down to 0.45.

From the Moors Pool Andy P reports:

JACK SNIPE, 80+ Snipe, 25 Lapwing, 48 Teal, 30 Tufted Duck, 7 Gadwall, 4 Pochard, 3 Shoveler, 4 Mute Swan, 3 Little Grebe, 195 BH Gull, 2 LBB Gull, Herring Gull, 22 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, Grey Wagtail.

Nuthatch at the North Moors feeder station.

Barn Owl showed well this afternoon in fading but good light and just as I arrived to be greeted by a guy called |an who told me that the owl was on the fence to the right of the hide.
Superb views . It landed at least three times so presumably made some good catches.
Flew across the third flash and along the sewage meadow several times. Made one cross to the ground to the left of the hide where it landed for its presumed catch.
All between 3.15 and 3.30 ish. Hide was empty when I left and by 4.15 no one else had come down to the hide.

Any thing which might have roosted tonight would have come in later. A remarkably empty Flashes.

The Moors on the other hand had the usual suspects and whilst the snipe appeared to be in hiding the Canada geese were in mega abundance. Might try to count them from the photos later. Half a dozen greylag, one LBBG, one Little Grebe one heron, a couple of tufted pairs that I could see and a group of six shoveler. Didn't count the teal but most were snoozing along any sheltered edge they could find. Didn't count the BHGs but there were a large number of them hunkered down on Pool Island along with at least one Shelduck and four cormorants.

Phil

Just spotted this thread - I think I am the Ian referred to.

Here are a couple of images I captured of the barn owl. It was around for a while and tried to steal a kill from a buzzard on the ground but got a bit duffed up !

Attachments

• 6N8A7391_2019~0073 small.jpg
    6N8A7391_2019~0073 small.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 6N8A7427_2019~0109 small.jpg
    6N8A7427_2019~0109 small.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 75
Hi all

Huge number of snipe at the Moors today. John has the numbers. I took some photos of them when flushed by this:

Attachments

• 45556A91-7D96-40DF-8956-CFB5B7982A9D.jpeg
    45556A91-7D96-40DF-8956-CFB5B7982A9D.jpeg
    750.9 KB · Views: 158
Also got this one - I counted 102 in this flock alone!

Attachments

• 9E8223D4-973B-4B0C-921E-1EA24D52170D.jpeg
    9E8223D4-973B-4B0C-921E-1EA24D52170D.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 117
Hi Julie. I’m the (Old Geeza) you met yesterday afternoon at the Moors. Can’t see the Jack amongst that lot ������. Are we both still looking or did you have any luck today.��

Also got this one - I counted 102 in this flock alone!

Didn't realised you had taken any pics nice one :t:

When I arrived at the Moors East hide c10.30 Snipe immediately flew off the snipe island to the promontory in good numbers.....I then checked the islands to see even more. Slowly they all moved to the promontory. After taking a few video clips of them, I set about counting. On the third count I had reached a staggering 168 but they were starting to walk into dense cover so I wasn't counting all of them. Sometime later a sparrowhawk appeared and soared low above the ground which immediately force most of the snipe to flee. They gained height and swirled in panic resembling a mini starling murmuarion. I managed to count 125ish when another slightly smaller flock joined them. In all there were c200 now circling high above the pool. 20 minutes later they dropped down and split up with a large group dropping into the west side sedge whilst others returned to the promontory.

SPECIES COUNT MOORS
Little grebe 3. Cormorant 16. Mute swan 4. Canada geese 340. Greylag 12. Shoveler 10. Teal 35. Gadwall 6. Shelduck 3. Tufted 25+. Pochard fem. Coot c15. Water rail 3. Grey heron 2.
SNIPE 200+. Lapwing 50. Curlew 8.
BHG 350. LBBG 6. Herring Gull 5.
Buzzard. Sparrowhawk.
Collared dove. Kingfisher. Green woodp. Great sp woodp.
Stonechat fem. Cetti's w 2.
Song thrush. Fieldfare.
Pied wags heard but not sure how many roosted due to fog. Grey wag . Bullfinch 3. Goldfinch 10+.
Reed bunting.

Didn't realised you had taken any pics nice one :t:

When I arrived at the Moors East hide c10.30 Snipe immediately flew off the snipe island to the promontory in good numbers.....I then checked the islands to see even more. Slowly they all moved to the promontory. After taking a few video clips of them, I set about counting. On the third count I had reached a staggering 168 but they were starting to walk into dense cover so I wasn't counting all of them. Sometime later a sparrowhawk appeared and soared low above the ground which immediately force most of the snipe to flee. They gained height and swirled in panic resembling a mini starling murmuarion. I managed to count 125ish when another slightly smaller flock joined them. In all there were c200 now circling high above the pool. 20 minutes later they dropped down and split up with a large group dropping into the west side sedge whilst others returned to the promontory.

SPECIES COUNT MOORS
Little grebe 3. Cormorant 16. Mute swan 4. Canada geese 340. Greylag 12. Shoveler 10. Teal 35. Gadwall 6. Shelduck 3. Tufted 25+. Pochard fem. Coot c15. Water rail 3. Grey heron 2.
SNIPE 200+. Lapwing 50. Curlew 8.
BHG 350. LBBG 6. Herring Gull 5.
Buzzard. Sparrowhawk.
Collared dove. Kingfisher. Green woodp. Great sp woodp.
Stonechat fem. Cetti's w 2.
Song thrush. Fieldfare.
Pied wags heard but not sure how many roosted due to fog. Grey wag . Bullfinch 3. Goldfinch 10+.
Reed bunting.

This equals the reserve record of 200 Snipe present on the 28th March 1971.

From the Flashes early morning Andy P reports:

Barn Owl flew in front of the hide at 0755, 11 Curlew, 3 Shelduck, 120 BH Gull

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Snipe (80). Not many on the flat area of the promontory,unlike yesterday.
Lapwing (23)------------------Curlew (11). Also seen at the Flashes.
Shoveler (8)-------------------Gadwall (4)
Pochard (1)--------------------Tufted Duck (20)
Teal (25)-----------------------Little Egret (2)
Little Grebe (2)----------------Mute Swan (4)
Herring Gull (3)---------------L B B Gull (6)
Common Gull (ad)briefly-----B H Gull (90) including yellow ring T81U, a Polish bird seen recently on the reserve.
Kestrel-------------------------Pheasant (5)
Nuthatch-----------------------Cormorant (23)

FLASHES/SAILING POOL*:
Shelduck (3)------------------Jack Snipe (AJP)
Teal (12)----------------------Stonechat (f) (AJP)
Jay----------------------------B H Gull (c350) roosted this evening.
G C Grebe (9)*---------------Kestrel

Des.

Just to alert visitors that a major Upton rarity in the form of a Slavonian Grebe was today just down the road at Westwood Pool. Worth giving any grebes seen a second look.

For those of you on Twitter from Saturday I will be running a poll to obtain your thoughts on the most likely addition to the Upton Warren list following this year's White-tailed Eagle, starting with 32 contenders and whittling them to one eventual winner.

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

2 JACK SNIPE, 4 Snipe, at least 2 Green Sands, 11 Curlew, Lapwing, 2 Barn Owls, 3 Shelduck, 26 Teal, 2 Mute Swan, c350 Canada Geese, 14 Greylag Geese, 84 BH Gull, 4 LBB Gull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back