• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (1 Viewer)

While UK persists in doing nothing. I wonder if the respective ages of Netanyahu and Johnson have affected their thinking? ;)

John

Considering that the US government is basically pretending that nothing is going on at all, the age of the leader does not correlate well with the response.

To be fair, Israel is in a unique position due to its geopolitical isolation - and yet they do have a plenty of cases already and this whole closing now may be for nothing in the long run ...

Last edited:
Yep, just saw it.

No word on whether Field Guides will pull the plug on my April tour, but at this point, quite frankly I hope they cancel it. I'm sick of the uncertainty roller-coaster.

There's every chance it will get extended beyond the two weeks as they will look at whats going on around the world and if its not under control by then they'll stay shut to visitors and move it another 2 weeks. It could last months but I'm sure that would have a devestating result on their economy.

I've been really surprised how this hasn't been taking off eg in E Africa with all the Chinese investment/infrastructure work going on. But assumed it could be temperature/humidity related.

Considering that the US government is basically pretending that nothing is going on at all, the age of the leader does not correlate well with the response.

Reports that they basically haven't enough testing kits, rather poor health care for the general population, and the political situation and one country you probably wouldn't want to be in if you were over 60 ...

There's every chance it will get extended beyond the two weeks as they will look at whats going on around the world and if its not under control by then they'll stay shut to visitors and move it another 2 weeks. It could last months but I'm sure that would have a devastating result on their economy.

Field Guides decided on "wait and see" because of the two week review period. But I agree it'll probably get extended after two weeks. Seeing how things are not yet under control in Europe or the US, and the numbers are only going to go up in many places, I find it hard to believe anything will change in two weeks.

I also learned today that of the 7 people on my tour, two are from New York and one is from California, so if they do it state by state as was originally suggested, 3 people are eliminated right off the bat. Hard to believe they'd run the trip with only 4 people.

I love that a congressman who was literally on Air Force One when he got the call that he may be infected has chosen to self-quarantine. There is hope for the world.

And also, it's a delightful irony that this initial infection took place at a convention of radical right-wing nutjobs who claim the virus is just a Democratic plot.

Field Guides decided on "wait and see" because of the two week review period. But I agree it'll probably get extended after two weeks. Seeing how things are not yet under control in Europe or the US, and the numbers are only going to go up in many places, I find it hard to believe anything will change in two weeks.

I also learned today that of the 7 people on my tour, two are from New York and one is from California, so if they do it state by state as was originally suggested, 3 people are eliminated right off the bat. Hard to believe they'd run the trip with only 4 people.

As the Israeli situation illustrates, it isn't going to just be a case of whether you can travel from your country or state, but whether your destination country will let you in.
I was reading earlier today that Hong Kong was restricting access from all of Italy, plus selected regions of France and Germany, and Hokkaido in Japan, so it is entirely likely that this would be applied on a state-by-state basis if (as seems likely, sadly) the situation worsens in USA.

In contrast, up until today flights were operating from northern Italy into UK, with no special restrictions on entry at the border (i.e. with a British, EU or several other country's passport) you can use automated gates to scan your passport and walk straight in.

My partner has a long weekend in Poland planned in 2 weeks time (while I was hoping to do some more intensive local birding!) and I reckon there's a high chance by then Poland (with as yet few cases) will be restricting access from UK - it's hard not to see it getting a lot worse here. I'm starting to also worry now about an upcoming trip to northern Portugal we've planned at the end of next month.

FWIW, if my Israel trip is cancelled - and I already told them I wish they'd do it already - my back-up plan is a trip to Alaska.

Mind you, I wouldn't book a flight that connected through Seattle. Just in case.

Probably a wise move for now. Once the situation returns to some sort of normality then I will still recommend Israel for a future birding trip

Two mates , both in their seventies, have cancelled Spring trips to Cyprus.

That's about the one country where no cases, suspected or otherwise, have been reported so far. It should mean that 'social distancing' in restaurants should be easier to achieve...
MJB

FWIW, if my Israel trip is cancelled - and I already told them I wish they'd do it already - my back-up plan is a trip to Alaska.

Mind you, I wouldn't book a flight that connected through Seattle. Just in case.

Give it a few weeks, that may become closed/unwise too ...

Speaking from the frontline here in Italy, the coronavirus threat is no longer a threat but a dismal reality. Movements between towns are severely restricted and permitted only for work or health reasons or for emergencies or assistance to family members. This means, as the president of EBN Italy, Italy's foremost birding organisation pointed out in an email to members earlier today, that birding will be possible only walking or cycling around town or in its immediate vicinity.

This has an impact not only on our favourite pastime but also on conservation activities, such as the Lanner Falcon surveillance camps which were being organised for this spring. Conservation NGOs are currently discussing how to ensure at least a minimum level of monitoring of threatened species etc. Needless to say, poachers and falconers will probably not be deterred by the new rules as they were defying or breaking the law already.

:-C

Of course we also are unable to plan holidays and/or short breaks, also considering that the government has requested that those employers who can spare their workforce give them paid leave to minimise travel and contagion. This will mean that some people will have to use up their weeks of paid leave now and have no or few days left at the end of this mess. Personally speaking we had to cancel our usual skiing trip, fortunately we hadn't booked anything yet.

We'll just have to travel by proxy reading the trip reports on BF!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back