• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have a question (1 Viewer)

tlawson

Hi all,

I just joined the bird forum in hopes of getting some information about an incident that recently happened that I am very upset about. I set up a bird house in my yard recently and there were 2 (I believe wrens) building a nest in it. It was so exciting to watch. Unfortunately, over the weekend my cat caught and killed I believe the mama bird. Shortly after the incident, the papa bird was flying around frantically looking for her and squawking away. He did not come back yesterday, but was back today with another birdie checking out the nest. I am not sure if he found himself a new mate or if they were fighting. I have just been so upset about the mishap and I am hoping he is okay. What are your thoughts? PS. I have some really cool videos of them building the nest and a new one today with his new mate.

Hi tlawson and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm afraid I can't help with advising you on what is now going on... perhaps you could just observe and let us know what happens next.

Meanwhile we do have some information and tips about trying to help protect your birds from cats. I hope you find it useful: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=42039

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Tough question to give you any answers. I would love to think the other Wren is a female and will take over the nesting but I doubt it.

Sorry to say, that the best you could do at this point would be to keep the cat out of the yard or it may do it again with any bird that tries to nest.

Please keep us posted on the new Wren and its actions.

Thank you so much. the article was helpful. I am thinking of moving the nest to the back of the yard where hopefully the cat won't see it.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

I think you will find that it is illegal to move or interfere with a nest when it contains eggs or chicks.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

I think you will find that it is illegal to move or interfere with a nest when it contains eggs or chicks.
I don't think there are any eggs in it, not that I can see anyway. Should I leave it just in case?

Hi and welcome to the forum. If there has been activity at the nest box best to leave it where it is is. If you can keep your cat inside that is the best outcome. If you must let your cat outside can it be on a leash?

Will do. He/she is out there now and just added a huge stick in the bird house (got it on video). He/she is sure determined. However, I think he/she is still calling for the mate. Breaking my heart.

Thanks everyone for the support.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back