• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (4 Viewers)

Grafham - ? Black Terns reported today; not aware reservoir is open yet. AWA state maybe soon; even the footpaths were closed last time I looked:
Good day for a WWBT so will have a look distantly.

https://anglianwaterparks.co.uk/coronavirus-updates

I found the 4 Black Terns. They were viewable from the Bridleway along north shore, which has remained open throughout lockdown, but (as you know) only affords limited views of some parts of the reservoir.

2 Sanderling on dam, plus two Caspian Gulls, on Monday evening.

Reservoir was re-opened on Monday.

Grafham Water 6/7 June - after a 10 week gap it seems the Caspian Gulls have matured. (assuming one of the regular two. Nice to look it in the eye....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/avesandmore/49978589257/in/album-72157712463187667/
A Sanderling on 6th ; and my first Yellow Wagtail this year...

For locals; the new pit at Brampton is looking good for daytime gulls https://www.flickr.com/photos/avesandmore/49981908321/in/album-72157712463187667/ Less than two miles from Grafham, maybe an alternative to Paxton?

Grafham Water 6/7 June - after a 10 week gap it seems the Caspian Gulls have matured. (assuming one of the regular two. Nice to look it in the eye....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/avesandmore/49978589257/in/album-72157712463187667/
A Sanderling on 6th ; and my first Yellow Wagtail this year...

For locals; the new pit at Brampton is looking good for daytime gulls https://www.flickr.com/photos/avesandmore/49981908321/in/album-72157712463187667/ Less than two miles from Grafham, maybe an alternative to Paxton?

I've checked this pit a few times this spring. A few bits through, but nothing notable. I have seen one of the Grafham Water Caspian Gulls here in the day, along with good numbers of Herring and Lesser Black-backed Gulls - I even came here after the Stanford (Northants) Caspian Tern went through east, but sadly no luck....

Good to know it’s getting some checking; difficult to park anywhere near but I see the gulls on the island every morning now while driving up onto the A14. I am interested to know what plans are for it ; there was a footpath running across from the houses to the Grafham lane but it seems to be closed ( for good)?
Caspian Tern always springs to mind...

Grafham Water 14 Jun; probably the same Caspian Gull 2 yr distantly from Marlow point with a large gull flock mid morning. New carpark barrier system now explained to me; no more free parking soon! £6.50 for all day....

Grafham Water 18 Jun; Caspian Gull - probably usual bird distantly from Mander this evening; Solar farm rapidly developing below the dam ; hope the breeding Yellow Wagtail has finished breeding....

Grafham Water 18 Jun; Caspian Gull - probably usual bird distantly from Mander this evening; Solar farm rapidly developing below the dam ; hope the breeding Yellow Wagtail has finished breeding....

I've contacted AW about this very matter, as some species, like Skylark, are still nesting in the field now!

Grafham water 09:00 - 11.00 ; just the regular Caspian gull. A Hobby and then a Kestrel over the Marlow woods were the only falcons. No sign of Red-foot.

Grafham water 21 June; Caspian Gull touring the reservoir but not favouring any particular roosting location. Very few birds for the gull to hassle and no chance of any further photos since 6 June when the Park was unlocked. Little Egrets building up now with at least 5 together.

Grafham water 09:00 - 11.00 ; just the regular Caspian gull. A Hobby and then a Kestrel over the Marlow woods were the only falcons. No sign of Red-foot.

That's more raptors than I have there from 06.00-08.45!

Green Sandpipers in lagoons only other birds of note.

I've contacted AW about this very matter, as some species, like Skylark, are still nesting in the field now!

Good news! After a little pressure, work has been halted as Skylarks and Yellow Wagtails have been confirmed breeding still....

Not sure how the "ecologist" failed to notice these before now.

Grafham water 4 July; 2 Common Sandpipers on the dam.
Note new parking restrictions at end of Church Road; ‘No Parking’ now.........
Grafham soon to become the most non-birder friendly place in the region so soon time to move on.

2 Little Ringed Plover on the dam late pm and a Common Gull

Last edited:
Grafham water 5 July: 2 Little Ringed Plovers and Common Sandpiper on the dam.
Thank you for the RBA instant message about the Osprey; i could see a large raptor circling beyond Mander from the dam immediately after message so guess it was the bird. It seemed to leave the reservoir and no sign by 12:00
I’m not seeing Caspian Gull or gulls this weekend just Yellow-legged ?
Carpark barriers to begin on 6th ; no more free- loaders!

Grafham water 7 July; many 100’s of Swifts this evening. Also 30 plus Common Terns . 3 -5 Common Sandpipers.

Cinnamon Teal near Ely - not made it into capital letters on pager so I don’t need to worry........?? Or should I?

Osprey from Mander Carpark 16:30 Briefly

— Briefly again at 17:40 over Savages Creek

Last edited:
Note new parking restrictions at end of Church Road; ‘No Parking’ now.........
Grafham soon to become the most non-birder friendly place in the region so soon time to move on.

I'm in contact with the Wildlife Trust about the removal of parking at Hill Farm car park, as this is just ludicrous. Hopefully this will lead to some conversations with AW too.

As you say, the whole site is becoming less and less birder (and wildlife) friendly each year that passes.

Glad you caught up with Osprey. I've seen a few new Yellow-legged Gulls the last few weeks.

No sign of Osprey this evening in the rain. The new Barrier in Mander Carpark wouldnt open tonight so had to reverse back out! Waiting for the plastic pass cards still; you dont need to pay to exit Marlow currently though no-one knows this until they have paid! I might take my chances at Hill Farm and just display my disk. Not sure if anglers have different discs?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back