• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

a pair of the residents.... with a poorly exposed snowy background as well as the GS Woody checking out tree-face

Attachments

• IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thanks Jaff pics are always good to see (for me) as i don't see my garden much during the week in winter.:t::t: Nice to see everyone elses in the evening.B :)

Well weather turned a bit pants today and tomoz is worse but I shall endeavour not to dissappoint. Watch this space. :t:

12 Redpoll (it is quite a sight to see them all on the feeder.... a surperb and delicate bird especially when you see them along side the much more stocky Goldfinch) and also the Pied Wagtail keeps coming back to feed on the patio. 7 Redwing over and 6 LBB Gulls over (were very high up so with my ropey ID skills could have been either LBBG OR GBBG), and a neighbout has just thrown some bread out to which 20+ B H Gulls have arrived and in with them is a single Common Gull

Snow now gone... exposing the extra seed that I had put down before it got covered in multiple layers of snow and frost, I am hoping the birds tuck into it pretty sharpish before her in doors sees the mess..... :'D

Lunch time:
Moorhen returns :t: it is wandering around like it owns the place

Last edited:
We now have two birds that never seem to leave our front yard.

One is a female House Finch that sits inside a round cage feeder and chomps away on sunflower seeds all day every day. I'm starting to worry that she'll get so fat she won't be able to get back out of the feeder.

The other is a Yellow-rumped Warbler (photo). It's wandering around (and chirping away) in our elm tree when I leave home in the mornings and still doing the same when I get home and when it's getting dark. I've noticed it chases other Yellow-rumpeds from our yard. It also chases off an Orange-crowned Warbler whenever the latter tries to reach one of the suet feeders.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• IMG_5344.JPG
    IMG_5344.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 53
Very sad experience yesterday.....a sweet little Tufted Titmouse flew into my window and broke his neck :-C
I ran out to pick him up hoping he was just stunned, but sadly he was gone. I held his tiny fragile body and stroked his soft feathers for awhile, hoping just maybe he would miraculously open his eyes, but it wasn't his day I suppose.... hopefully he will forgive me for having windows. |8(| he's now resting in peace in my garden. Now I feel guilty for even having feeders so close to my house. :-C

Sympathies Lindy.

I have lost a few birds over the years flying into the windows (we have so many) but some have been lucky and survived.

Thanks SG, but on a much better note, a Tree Sparrow also flew into a different window and I held him until he got his bearings again and flew off seeming quite fine o:)

Tree Sparrows just reappeared a few days ago in good numbers so I'm very happy about that :t:

Great photos from everyone, very enjoyable to see, thanks for sharing! :t:

Very sad experience yesterday.....a sweet little Tufted Titmouse flew into my window and broke his neck :-C
I ran out to pick him up hoping he was just stunned, but sadly he was gone. I held his tiny fragile body and stroked his soft feathers for awhile, hoping just maybe he would miraculously open his eyes, but it wasn't his day I suppose.... hopefully he will forgive me for having windows. |8(| he's now resting in peace in my garden. Now I feel guilty for even having feeders so close to my house. :-C

Windows are a problem - they kill hundreds of millions of birds each year in the USA. Of course the problem is more with high-rise buildings than with houses.

I find the best solution is to keep feeders either well away from windows or else very close to them. Birds quite often fly into our living-room windows from the feeders just outside. However, as the feeders are only a foot away from the glass, the birds don't get up enough speed to hurt themselves. When the feeders were a few feet away, birds would knock themselves out when they hit the windows.

Jeff

More regular in the summer, two rather nice Hawfinch at the feeders today.

Nice one Jos :t:

The other is a Yellow-rumped Warbler (photo). It's wandering around (and chirping away) in our elm tree when I leave home in the mornings and still doing the same when I get home and when it's getting dark. I've noticed it chases other Yellow-rumpeds from our yard. It also chases off an Orange-crowned Warbler whenever the latter tries to reach one of the suet feeders.

Jeff

That YR Warbler is defo a must see bird!

CB

garden has been fairly quiet of late. Today we had 15+ starlings a Woodpigeon and the usual blue and great tits. Glad to see our pair of coaltits are still ok.

I saw this unbelievable image today of a Sparrowhawk and Woodpecker .It was a shot of a lifetime ,so amazing that I had to include a link . Hope you'll excuse the liberty.
you need to scroll down to the picture on page 15
http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/media/files/SBSNewsletterSummer2010.pdf

Last edited:
garden has been fairly quiet of late. Today we had 15+ starlings a Woodpigeon and the usual blue and great tits. Glad to see our pair of coaltits are still ok.

I saw this unbelievable image today of a Sparrowhawk and Woodpecker .It was a shot of a lifetime ,so amazing that I had to include a link . Hope you'll excuse the liberty.Its an interesting read but you need to scroll down to the picture on page 15
http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk/media/files/SBSNewsletterSummer2010.pdf

The document may be "interesting", but it's not "accurate", as it's published by Songbird Survival. Songbird Survival are a group of misguided individuals who, amongst other things, believe in the persecution of Raptors and Corvids. Please do your own research regarding Songbird decline; RSPB, BTO, are good places to start. And remember, just because it's on the Internet doesn't make it true.|=)|

More regular in the summer, two rather nice Hawfinch at the feeders today.

And great photo too. Ah the stuff of dreams. You'll be showing us wrynecks next Jos.

Chris (BFB) Congratulations on your 50 garden count. I just wondered what the "rules" were. For example can you include overflying birds such as swifts and canada geese which never land within the garden? If so can you count any birds seen from your house?

The snow has all but melted and it looks as if I've peaked early here as bird numbers are well down other than goldfinches and collared doves.

The document may be "interesting", but it's not "accurate", as it's published by Songbird Survival. Songbird Survival are a group of misguided individuals who, amongst other things, believe in the persecution of Raptors and Corvids. Please do your own research regarding Songbird decline; RSPB, BTO, are good places to start. And remember, just because it's on the Internet doesn't make it true.|=)|

wind your neck in ChrisKten :-O

I was referring to the article about the woodpecker and the sparrowhawk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back