• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (2 Viewers)

Twice this week, a fellow with a binoculars asked if a woodpecker was an acorn woodpecker. Today, I told him it was a downy and that acorn woodpeckers are European birds. ...

:hi: Europe must be closer than I thought out here in California.

Ed

a kettle

Hello Ed,

Live and learn. I did not realise that the acorn woodpecker is an American bird of the west. Nevertheless, they do not turn up in Central Park but they are birds with striking looks.

Before my last post, I saw a flock of raptors high overhead. After some consideration I am booking them as a kettle turkey vultures which rarely turn up in Central Park but are known to pass overhead. On Sunday, I saw a gray duck far off on the Reservoir, too far for a solid identification. Again, after some consideration, I will put it down as a gadwall rather than a wigeon. However, I certainly saw a green winged teal on the Lake. Yesterday, there was a pair of wood ducks on the lake; today, a solitary male bufflehead on the Lake. Diving ducks like the bufflehead generally find the Lake too shallow.
About two weeks ago, I saw a brown creeper, today another turned up. My guess is that the former may have wintered in the and the latter may be at the start of their migration. A couple of weeks ago, I black crowned night herons; today there were at least five on branches overlooking the Lake. Today was also a three woodpecker day: downy, red bellied and a northern flicker.

Monday, I heard a warbler which was identified by others as a pine warbler. Today, I saw a chipping sparrow along with fox and song sparrows. Please do not call a chipping sparrow a "chippy," as that another meaning in American English.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• Turkey vulture.jpg
    Turkey vulture.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 94
  • green winged teal.jpg
    green winged teal.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Brown creeper.jpg
    Brown creeper.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Pine warblers.jpg
    Pine warblers.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 100
  • chipping sparrow.jpg
    chipping sparrow.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 115
Rain and physicians' appointments

Hello,

Rain and physicians' appointments have kept me out the Park. Last Sunday, I saw a ruddy duck which actually had ruddy sides but there was no sign of a blue bill. On Monday, I saw my first egret of the year on Turtle Pond. While looking at the egret a golden crowned kinglet buzzed me. Northern flickers are more plentiful and I saw red tailed hawk carrying a branch, part of its mating ritual.
The chipping sparrows may have departed but song sparrows are still around.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 99
  • egret.jpg
    egret.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 120
  • golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 123
The cherry trees are in bloom

Hello all,

In my last post I neglected to mention that I saw a hermit thrush/. Today, I saw blue gray gnatcatchers, a black and white warbler at the Point.

The shovellers have become scarce on the Lake, but are still to be seen on the Reservoir. Today, I saw a common loon on the Reservoir, along with mallards shovellers and buffleheads. The loon is a life bird for me. Even though it has been on the Reservoir for a long time, I never saw it until today.

I attach a photograph of Cherry Hill taken with my iPod Touch from Bow Bridge. The early blooming cherry trees give the Hill its name. It is also well known for Cherry Hill Fountain, which some might recognize.
Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Hermit thrush.jpg
    Hermit thrush.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 103
  • gnatcatchers.jpg
    gnatcatchers.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 120
  • black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Loon,common.jpg
    Loon,common.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Cherrry Hill.JPG
    Cherrry Hill.JPG
    425.9 KB · Views: 126
Hello,

I have not been successful at spotting migratory species but I can note three: palm warbler, myrtle [or yellow rumped] and a brown thrasher

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• palm warbler.jpg
    palm warbler.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Myrtle Yellow.jpg
    Myrtle Yellow.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 102
  • brown thrasher.jpg
    brown thrasher.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 111
Still, no additional warblers

Hello all,

I have not seen any additional warblers but I have been especially disappointed in not seeing any waterthrushes. Watching them forage on a shore or stream bank always fascinates me.
On Sunday, there was only one ruddy duck on the Reservoir and I think that the northern shovellers have left the park, along with most of the white breasted nuthatches, the tufted titmice and the black capped chickadees. I did see a red breasted nuthatch on Monday. On Sunday, I saw a green heron in the Oven. For years a nesting pair would be seen on the Northern Lobe of the Lake but "restoration" and construction interrupted their annual stay.

On Sunday, I saw a belted kingfisher up a tree, on the island in Turtle Pond. It must have had some good fishing because it just sat in the tree and I was not rewarded with seeing it catch lunch. This only my third sighting of one. Yesterday, I saw my first field sparrow of the season. Also on Sunday, I saw a male brown headed cowbird.

I attach a photograph of Central Park's only Egyptian obelisk, taken today with my new iPod Touch, when the foliage is still sparse. Like the one on the Great Smoke's Embankment, it is popularly called Cleopatra's Needle. New York's weather and pollution have not been kind to its hieroglyphics.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 114
  • herons, green.jpg
    herons, green.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 119
  • cowbird.jpg
    cowbird.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Field sparrow.jpg
    Field sparrow.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 108
  • fullsizeoutput_9c.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_9c.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 109
A warbler and ...

Hello everyone,

The shovellers are gone as are the ruddy ducks. On the Lake I did see a pair of gadwalls and a lone American coot. There were two pairs of buffleheads on the Reservoir, today.

Today, I saw a black throated blue Today, I also got to see a blue headed vireo, and a Louisiana waterthrush, at last. The best bird of the day was a male rose breasted grosbeak.

However yesterday I saw a rare visitor to Central Park: a barred owl. I was given a tip by a very competent bird watcher, who said that he had not announced digitally. I met a group led by paid guide and told him the I was on the way to Rustic Shelter for a look. He turned his group around to follow me. It was certainly worth the 100 metre detour, but someone there was already announcing it on his smart 'phone. The reluctance to broadcast its presence was an attempt to avoid a "twitcher" situation and upset the owl. The owl was there for only one day.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Black throated blue wing.jpg
    Black throated blue wing.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Louisiana waterthrush.jpg
    Louisiana waterthrush.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 101
  • blue headed vireo.jpg
    blue headed vireo.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 127
  • rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 107
  • barred owl.jpg
    barred owl.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
More birds of the season

Hello,

After a few days of anticipation, I finally met aa yellowthroat warbler. It is not usually a visitor to New York but does turn up occasionally. A worm eating warbler appeared up a tree, where it won't find any worms. On Friday, I began to see gray catbirds, which should be here all summer. As I was walking in Strawberry fields, I saw an ovenbird.

Last week, I neglected to mention seeing an eastern towhee. On Thursday, I saw a male wood duck on the Reservoir. It was arousing great curiosity among some German tourists.

I attach an iPod photo of an egret on Turtle Pond.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• worm eating warbler.jpg
    worm eating warbler.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 113
  • catbird, gray.jpg
    catbird, gray.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 107
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 110
  • towhee, etc.jpg
    towhee, etc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 108
  • egret and Belvedere.jpg
    egret and Belvedere.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 125
Hello,

I had a rather happy day yesterday. At the start of my bird watching, I got a decent look at a male scarlet tanager, up a tree, at Strawberry Fields. At the Point, another bird watcher pointed out s Swainson's thrush, an Americans redstart and a veery. A little later, I saw a brown mass, concealed by leaves, high up in a tree, which was a least bittern a very unusual visitor to Central Park.

There was more yesterday, so I will continue later.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York.
Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Scarlet Tananger.jpg
    Scarlet Tananger.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Swainsons thrush.jpg
    Swainsons thrush.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 119
  • American redstart.jpg
    American redstart.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Veery.jpg
    Veery.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Bittern, least.jpg
    Bittern, least.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 119
Hello,

Yesterday, also brought a black throated green warbler. The best for yesterday was a red headed woodpecker, which made a three woodpecker day for me.

Although the Reservoir still had some buffleheads, I expect them to be gone by my next visit. As I am off for another "culture vulture" holiday [ or as a friend calls them, culchuh volchuh], I won't be in Central Park for eight days.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Black throated green.jpg
    Black throated green.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 111
  • woodpecker, red headed.jpg
    woodpecker, red headed.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 106
  • buffleheads.jpg
    buffleheads.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 105
back from vacation

Hello,

I am back from my trip, yesterday. While waiting for a train at Newark Airport, I spotted an unfamiliar bird on the tracks. It was a kildeer, a bird rarely seen in Central Park and a life bird for me.

Today, I was treated to both an orchard and a Baltimore Oriole on my morning walk. The final photograph, a selfie, should reveal where I had been.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Orioles, orchard.jpg
    Orioles, orchard.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 99
  • oriole, Baltimore.jpg
    oriole, Baltimore.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 108
  • kildeer.jpg
    kildeer.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 131
Ooooh!! Who is that handsome lad gracing my screen tonight!!!? ;)

What wonderful pictures you've produced too Arthur!! Quite delightful.

Many thanks my friend.

Hello Mono,

I wrote that it was a cultural trip.

Hello Delia,

You are quite welcome and thanks for the compliments.

Hello KC,

As long as the face frightens no one.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Recently a British newspaper had to issue a correction when it illustrated a story about Paris with a photograph of the Las Vegas Eiffel Tower!

In the swing

Hello all,

Last Thursday and Sunday, I finally saw a barn swallow over the Reservoir. On both days, I saw a pair of gadwalls near the South Gatehouse. I have also been seeing cedar waxwings in the Park. I have been surprised to see a black capped chickadee, titmice, and white breasted nuthatches, in the last three days. All three are scarce by now.

Today was rather busy. I did see an Eastern kingbird. There are a plethora of magnolia warblers in the Park, but I have seen yellow warblers and more, but will save those for another post.

All illustrations by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, from Birds of New York

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Barn swallows.jpg
    Barn swallows.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Kingbird.jpg
    Kingbird.jpg