• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring-necked or Tufted Duck (1 Viewer)

jimmmer

Hi all, I saw this duck on Saturday 18th on the island of Barbados. It was seen with a few Ring-necked Ducks, females and a single male in its breeding splendor. This duck was clearly different. One birder suggested Tufted Duck mainly because of a puff of shag at the back of the head but the ID was not firmly establish. If it is a Tufted Duck it would be a first for the island and maybe the West Indies so i eagerly await you responds. Could this be a Tufted or Ring-necked or the dreaded H word?

Attachments

• 20170318-_MG_8178.jpg
    20170318-_MG_8178.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20170318-_MG_8182.jpg
    20170318-_MG_8182.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20170318-_MG_8184.jpg
    20170318-_MG_8184.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20170318-_MG_8189.jpg
    20170318-_MG_8189.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 88
  • 20170318-_MG_8187.jpg
    20170318-_MG_8187.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 54
Thank guys for your prompt responds but can you say why you believe Tufted over Ring-necked duck and could it also be a hybrid of the two?

It doesn't have a Ring-necked's bill pattern (white band near tip) nor its pale eye-ring. But it does have a tuft, which R-n doesn't. Nothing to suggest a hybrid either; this is an absolutely normal Tufty exactly like the ones I see around here.

It doesn't have a Ring-necked's bill pattern (white band near tip) nor its pale eye-ring. But it does have a tuft, which R-n doesn't. Nothing to suggest a hybrid either; this is an absolutely normal Tufty exactly like the ones I see around here.

Yes, this is a classic female Tufted Duck. There are no features suggestive of a hybrid.

cheers, alan

Great find for you then. You were spot on to the fact that it was not one of the RND,s. As some of the others here have already stated, Tufted duck is the default here in the UK (with Greater Scaup being a regular winter visitor and Ring Neck pretty scare with only a handful turning up annually) so it was a bit of a no-brainer for us on this side.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back