• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birds seen from restaurants (2 Viewers)

white tailed eagle carrying prey about ten yards overhead whilst being pursued by about a hundred outraged gulls. Seen from the chip shop in Aviemore high street in Scotland

Chicken?

Halcon, I know that I am jetlagged through having had minimal sleep on the 3 flights back home, but where does the chicken come into it? Me not going on holiday to Barcelona this time? Has Alectura lathami been renamed australian brush chicken? For the record, I dined on snapper, not chicken!

BTW, I do intend to visit Barcelona next year, for a bit longer next time.

Allen (hopefully not chicken!)

Last edited:
Two weeks ago, I watched Red-headed Barbets, Silver-throated, Summer, Palm, and Blue-gray Tanagers, Baltimore and Black-cowled Orioles, Great Kiskadee, and Melodious Blackbirds at fruit feeders while eating lunch at the Kiri Lodge Restaurant near Tapanti, Costa Rica.

White-fronted Scops-owl is probably my best.

other good ones include Vervain Hummingbird, Rufous-bellied Niltava, Dark-sided Thrush and Siberian Blue Robin.

Lunch at the Lucky Shag

Now that I am home I thought that I would catch up with things from my holiday in Australia. My first lunch (5th October) was at the Lucky Shag bar in Perth. I think that I had chicken with my caesar salad, just for Halcon! Bird-wise, I could see 4 little black cormorants (aka shags) and an australasian darter. A welcome swallow repeatedly flew in under the dismantled outer part of the deck. I spotted a bird soaring over the city centre high rises - a raptor? No, it was a little pied cormorant!

Allen

Australian Hobby at the Lucky Shag

I saw an Australian hobby down by the Swan River in Perth on 3 days during my visit last month. I had never before seen the species. I was often alerted to its presence by the nervous calls of the welcome swallows. On the 14th, my last afternoon in Perth, I was enjoying a drink outside the Lucky Shag when the hobby flew low over the roof of the bar!

Allen

Last experience I can recall is enjoying some good (and more importantly, cheap) Curry and Rice at a well known shorebird spot. The nature center had a cafe, and heavenly air-conditioning. Managed two lifers there, Common Sandpiper and Azure-winged Magpie while I enjoyed lunch

Breakfast at the Observatory Guesthouse in Busselton

I spent the 3 nights 6th-8th October in Busselton in the far S.W. of Australia, staying at the Observatory Guesthouse. Breakfast was always accompanied by views of new holland honeyeaters in the garden hedge. A bird bath in the garden attracted red wattlebirds to bathe and a common bronzewing to drink. On the 7th a western rosella landed for a moment next to the bird bath, a beaut and a "lifer"!

Allen

2 nights in O'Reillys

Ah! Less than 4 weeks ago, on Sat. 1st, my (non-birding) friends in Brisbane offered to drive me to O'Reilly's for a sight. We had lunch in the cafe there, sitting on the balcony surrounded by crimson rosellas and pied currawongs. A male satin bowerbird came and perched on the rail of the balcony, too.

Allen

On the strength of that day trip 2 years ago I booked 2 nights at O'Reillys at the end of last month. It was a great experience to stay, for the wildlife, views (both to distant mountains and on a smaller scale in the forest) and the friendliness of everyone there.

Arriving at noon on Thursday 28th and leaving mid afternoon on Saturday 30th, I was able to check out the birds around the cafe balcony for my 3 midday meals. The most active at raiding people's tables were the crimson rosellas and satin bowerbirds. Up to 8 pied currawongs perched patiently on the wooden railings and in the tops of trees close by, sometimes calling, their notes being a bit soft for such powerful looking birds. The rosellas had several different calls and the satin bowerbirds growled when they were vexed, as did the local regent bowerbirds. Although the regent bowerbirds (and australian king parrots) joined the rosellas at the official feeding site nearby, they generally did not come on the balcony, except for one time when a male flew in, growled and stole the food that someone was about to put in their mouth. Lewin's honeyeaters sometimes hopped about the balcony. When I was eating my lunch on the 28th a flock of 10 top-knot pigeons flew past, my only sighting of the species of the holiday!

Allen

A meal in Barcelona

Last night I returned from a holiday in NE Spain. After 3 nights in Figueres I returned to Barcelona on 3rd May and had a light meal at a table outside La Vinya del Senyor, a wine bar outside the fine Església de Santa Maria del Mar. After seeing swifts and monk parakeets flying over I saw a flock of 6 little egrets fly past the church.

Although I know that little egrets are common in Spain, I well remember the excitement of the first one turning up in the Isle of Man in 1990 (I think that was the year). In my mind, however, sitting outside that ancient church with a glass of Priorat red wine in front of me is a fine way of watching little egrets!

Allen

Allen,

Such a plethora of ornitho-gastronomic delights. Great reading. I'll dig out some of my notebooks and post some Oz highlights, and maybe some others, when I get a mo.

H

Lac Le Jeune resort - Osprey, Bald Eagle, two species of woodpecker (can't remember which ones), Loons, Buffleheads, Hooded Merganser, Stellar Jays, Beaver and a young Black Bear on the bird table.

The food was fantastic - BC Salmon and the beer was great - Bear Beer made in Kamloops I think.

Rich

We were in the Garmisch area of Bavaria last year; at a restaurant on the shore of the Eibsee a flock of Crossbills landed in one of a few trees in the grounds; even better, the next day we took a cable car up to the top of a mountain called Wank (pronounced "Vank"!) and at lunch caught sight of a Citril Finch on the fence, a very occasional German lifer for me.

the resturant at the Morakot resort just outside Khao Nor Chuchi, Thailand got me several good birds such as Orange-bellied Flowerpecker, Blue-winged Pitta and best of all, White-fronted Scops Owl.

Eating Dinner (fresh squid) at Michaels Harbourside restaurant, in Newburyport, Massachusetts, produced Rough Winged and Tree Swallows, Black Duck, Great White Egret, Snowy Egret, Night Heron, Great Blue Heron, Chimney Swift, Cedar Waxwing and Sharp Shinned Hawk.

Owen

Last night I returned from a holiday in NE Spain. After 3 nights in Figueres I returned to Barcelona on 3rd May and had a light meal at a table outside La Vinya del Senyor, a wine bar outside the fine Església de Santa Maria del Mar. After seeing swifts and monk parakeets flying over I saw a flock of 6 little egrets fly past the church.

Allen

The following evening I was in the same part of the city and I decided to drop in the famous little bar El Xampanyet on Carrer Montcada, just around the corner from Església de Santa Maria del Mar. It was crowded in the bar as if a coach party had turned up, so I took my glass of beer outside. It was dusk and the swifts provided an amazing spectacle as they repeatedly flew up and down the canyon like street.

Allen

I love this thread.

So here are couple of mine:

Whilst having a couple of cheeky Fantas in a restaurant in Guanacaste, Costa Rica, in an effort to counter the dehydration, I saw a Jabiru flying nearby and promptly moved to get better views.

Also, a nice accompaniment to my delicious locally produced coffee at the Hotel Perkin Lenca, Perquin, El Salvador, were a few flocks of migrating raptors, mostly Swainson's Hawks and Broad-winged Hawks, and a couple of American Kestrels.

I'll make sure to post any more that I can remember.

DL

Don't think I've ever listed birds seen from a restaurant, but I'm inspired to eat in the near future at one of the many eateries along the 'Nade, on a rising tide in the early evening, just so I can have a 'meal' list of 40+ species.

Largest 'meal' list?

Don't think I've ever listed birds seen from a restaurant, but I'm inspired to eat in the near future at one of the many eateries along the 'Nade, on a rising tide in the early evening, just so I can have a 'meal' list of 40+ species.

Good on yah, chowchilla! It makes me wonder what the largest 'meal' list is.

Allen

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back