• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the new Olympus 750-300mm for MFT (1 Viewer)

Regarding price, I think they simply realized the old version was too expensive compared to the competition. I think the relative quality of this lens and the panasonic one is completely up in the air at this time, I would love to see a comparative review.

Niels

I still wish one of them would make a 80-400 in good IQ

I wish they would make a great 300mm f4! Just a bit off-topic, how well does the electronic and digital 2x teleconverter on Olympus bodies work? Does it crop and upsize images with little degradation in image quality? I ask this as Panny's 150mm 2.8 lens is coming out next year and is by far the longest prime lens available for m43.

I wish they would make a great 300mm f4! Just a bit off-topic, how well does the electronic and digital 2x teleconverter on Olympus bodies work? Does it crop and upsize images with little degradation in image quality? I ask this as Panny's 150mm 2.8 lens is coming out next year and is by far the longest prime lens available for m43.

here is a shot with EPL5 + Lumix 100-300mm + digital tele convector

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/452705/ppuser/71763

and here is the same bird form the same distance taken with E5 + Sigma 50-500mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/8568774749/in/photostream

this is a shot with EPL5 + Lumix 100-300mm without the digital TC

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/447547/ppuser/71763

personally i found that is i don't really have to i get the shot without the TC at the lowest ISO possible and then crop.

like here

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/448788/ppuser/71763

BTW until now i did not get form the EPL5 the same nice results i use to have form the EPL1+lumix 100-300mm.

I think the relative quality of this lens and the panasonic one is completely up in the air at this time, I would love to see a comparative review.

The site linked to reviews both lenses, and gives the Panasonic Lens 4 stars and the Olympus 3 1/2. The Panasonic is also faster at maximum zoom: F5.6 versus F6.7 for the Olympus, so better for low light. I think for bird photography the Panasonic is the better choice.

Here is the review for the Panasonic lens:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-100-300mm-f-4-0-5-6-zoom-lens-review-17763

Jim

The site linked to reviews both lenses, and gives the Panasonic Lens 4 stars and the Olympus 3 1/2. The Panasonic is also faster at maximum zoom: F5.6 versus F6.7 for the Olympus, so better for low light. I think for bird photography the Panasonic is the better choice.

Here is the review for the Panasonic lens:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-100-300mm-f-4-0-5-6-zoom-lens-review-17763

Jim

the problem Jim is that no one here in BF uses the Olympus lens, we all own the Pana even those how got Olympus bodies. and frankly i don't trust the reviews on amazon.

for me as always its bright sun shine i don't care much about the one stop diffrance in favor if Pana. but the OIS seem to work much better that the IBIS i have noticed this in the EPL1 and also now in the EPL5.

the problem Jim is that no one here in BF uses the Olympus lens, we all own the Pana even those how got Olympus bodies. and frankly i don't trust the reviews on amazon.

Hi ammadoux,

I wasn't linking to Amazon reviews. I was linking to another review from the site you linked to in the beginning of this thread. I don't know much about the site, but they appear to use objective tests for evaluating lenses. And thus they seem to enable a comparison of the sort Niels was asking for. Personally, I put more stock in objective tests than whether individual users like or dislike a particular lens, though I don't discount the latter either.

You are lucky to have good light for your local photography. But presumably you travel to see birds as well, and globally most bird species are found in forested areas where light is not so good. So I'd suspect even you would have use for better low light capabilities when you travel--and I'm sure that's true of the vast majority of bird photographers.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi ammadoux,

You are lucky to have good light for your local photography. But presumably you travel to see birds as well, and globally most bird species are found in forested areas where light is not so good. So I'd suspect even you would have use for better low light capabilities when you travel--and I'm sure that's true of the vast majority of bird photographers.

Jim

this is so true, most of my bird shots failed terribly in Sri Lanka even for the birds that were really close, i still look in petty fro those blurred closeups for the beautiful magpie robin, :-C

Hi ammadoux,

I wasn't linking to Amazon reviews. I was linking to another review from the site you linked to in the beginning of this thread. I don't know much about the site, but they appear to use objective tests for evaluating lenses. And thus they seem to enable a comparison of the sort Niels was asking for.

Jim

since i am not very much into complicated photography i really don't understand much of what is written on the reviews i prefer to see gallery of those like us here on BF or on flickr. i know that the results depend on the actual talent of the photographer but it also shows what are the real capabilities of the camera he is using.

anyway back to the new Olympus i am thinking of replacing my pana because i think i am having some compatibility problems which i did not face with the EPL1, the lens some time get stuck and it would not respond at all, until i wait for a while, that is really annoying in case of bird photography.

i did not have this problem at all with the MFT Olympus 12-50mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back