• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Out of place cormorant (1 Viewer)

rkj

The cormorant seen in this checklist https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50013172 was found (not by me) yesterday just north of San Francisco, California. Whatever it is, it is way out of range. Local and other experts will certainly be trying to identify it, but I thought I would post the link here and see if anyone wants to offer an opinion. A ship going into San Francisco Bay would pass near the site - I think ship assisted transport is a good possibility, which means the bird might have come from almost anywhere.

I only got a quick look before the page started loading again and went to a white screen but perhaps a Shag of some kind?

I just tried to bring it up again and all it does is keep loading but no pic.

It isn't an Aus. species as many have speculated -- I'm guessing either an immature or leucistic DC or one of the "great" cormorant species. But I don't know all the world species especially not the more obscure ones like those from the islands.

edit: I think we can still rule out great and Temminck's cormorant.

Last edited:
I'm still in the DC camp right now, not on likelihood, but on the structure of the head and the colouration of the head and beak.

I agree that based on these pictures Double-crested seems a possibility, but one so uniformly white below would be an oddity in this area, and the feet seem pale, which I don't think I have ever seen on DC. We will have to hope for better photos.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back