• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID / Age Confirmation Dorset (1 Viewer)

pooleparrot

Ian Ballam
Originally though this might be a 3rd winter Yellow-legged Gull, dark eye and leg colour are wrong, now thinking 3rd winter LBBG, although dark eye not right. Anybody steer me in right direction , Thanks

Attachments

• 46368Gull.JPG
    46368Gull.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 46365Gull.JPG
    46365Gull.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 46366Gull.JPG
    46366Gull.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 46367Gull.JPG
    46367Gull.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 41
Hello,
a difficult picture, at least for me. As you have recieved no answer yet, maybe try it in the Bird Identification Q&A section?

I write my thinkings and hope like you for feedback from the experts, so I can learn, too:

Shade of mantle in relation to BHG in one picture seems better for a Lesser-black-backed Gull.

If you look hard enough, I see a long, parallel-edged bill, but rounded head and position of eye is not good for an ID-book Caspian Gull. But I must admit, when I would see this gull in NE-Germany I would see an realtive unmarked head for an immature LBBG (but still within variation with an brownish wash around eye) and think of the Gull-Mix that is prevalent there, and leave this bird unidentified.

I think your bird would be very advanced for a 2cy Gull with upper tertials adult-type and very advanced plumage, but large white tips to primaries may point to a 4cy bird, according to gullresearch?

Conclusion? Gull-experts, please help!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back