Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Monk Parakeets or Quaker Parrots in Chicago

Old Thursday 2nd August 2012, 10:50   #1
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Monk Parakeets or Quaker Parrots in Chicago

Apparently, the formerly well known Hyde Park is no longer a reliable site to find Monk Parakeets in Chicago. On three visits over several years, I have never been able to find them, though I had found stick nests on one visit. This time, on a early July visit, I met a knowledgeable employee of the Chicago City Works. He said that the birds had pretty much moved to other locations. And he suggested to look for them in Rowan Park on 115th and L Street in East Side Chicago, not far from the Indiana borderline. According to him, the birds were "all over" at that location. As he lives in that area, he knew the place well. I'd like to thank this helpful but unknown (to me) fellow bird enthusiast here.

And, sure enough, I saw and heared them just as I was getting out of the car. But then, I had trouble locating them again. And a search for their huge stick nests in the local trees proved unsuccessful. Now that was only because I did not look at the tall pylons of the park's illumination installation. The nests are placed very conspicuously up there between the lights. So much for functioning via search images.

A brief video can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAo2oMekTQ8

I later heared the birds further west as well, in Roseland, in the Gately Park area on 103rd and Cottage Grove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040183redBF.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	397464  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040184redBF.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	397465  
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: