• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reasonably priced Arca/no-QR head for scope? (1 Viewer)

Orthas

Hi there, I bought a new scope (Nikon ED82A) and need to get a new head as I've previously been using a ball head with my ED50 and camera. I definitely want Arca-Swiss compatibility. I would love to spend under 200 Euros. Most recommendations are for Berlebach etc which cost 350-400. I have previously used Sirui gear and loved it, however their VH-10 (which otherwise looks perfect) is Manfrotto style, and I fear the VA-5 might be a bit too light?

Another option would be to get a head with no QR-plate and attach a clamp, if there are some recommended? I'd like to avoid screwing a clamp on top of QR-plate.

Sirui Europe is located here in Cologne, so I gave them a call today and they confirmed that the VH-10 is Arca-Swiss compatible. I believe Kimmo Absetz has experience with the VH-10 so I have PMed him for 100% confirmation.
Although I think all Arca-Swiss plates are compatible with all Arca-Swiss heads, the safety retention is IMO an important factor. If the clamping knob loosens you don't want your scope falling out of the head. Berlebach for instance has an ingenious safety retention system, which will also work with Sirui and some Novoflex plates but I don't think their plates can be securely retained on other heads.
By the look of the ED82A it might be a bit tail heavy, so this is a factor to consider if you need a longer plate to balance it out.

John

Well Kimmo informed me that the plates for the VH-10 are 49 mm wide, so definitely not Arca-Swiss and it looks as though I got some "alternative facts" from Sirui Europe.
If you don't want to run to a Berlebach 510 or 553 just yet and have a substantial ball head with friction and panorama function you could drop the spindle into the slot and rotate the collar of the scope by 90°. Ball heads used this way make quite good 2-way heads.
The only real reservation is that the centre of gravity is displaced from the centre column and there is a greater risk of the scope and tripod getting knocked over.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back