• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory Compact 10x25 Question (1 Viewer)

oldmanlaurence

Hi all,
I'm considering these as travel bins. Has anyone done any serious birding with them? The specs look almost identical to Swarovski CL Companion 10x30 at half the weight. I spend 6 months out of year in Asia, but bird only several days here and there. The weight is the primary reason I'm considering these compacts. I'd appreciate feedback from people who own these compacts and use them for outings-not just checking out an occasional bird in the parking lot.

Thanks

I have the 8x25, they do stand for serious birding. Off course my 8x42 are much brighter and the darker it gets the more noticeable the difference is. Having said that I have owled with them.

I dont own those swaros, but 30 vs 25 is a significant difference, so I would expect the Swaros to be much brighter.

...I'm considering these as travel bins. Has anyone done any serious birding with them? ...I'd appreciate feedback from people who own these compacts and use them for outings-not just checking out an occasional bird in the parking lot...

Using pocket bins for serious birding is not for everyone. I'm one of the few on Birdforum to do so regularly, though I still prefer full-sized bins. Alignment of eyes to oculars is critical. The small eyecups of pocket roofs don't work well fitting to the eye, so I find that they are more comfortable when used with glasses, which provide a stable interface.

Keep in mind that there are two entirely different bins called Zeiss 10x25 Victory. The older one (to which you refer, the Victory Compact) is good but the new one (named Victory Pocket) has better specs and handling. I don't have experience with the new one. The old one I have tried, but I got the 8x20 version instead for its smaller size, wider FOV, and closer minimum focus. It is a very nice pocket roof.

--AP

Last edited:
Has anyone done any serious birding with them?

Laurence I recommend you take note of what Alexis has to say about compacts/pockets as he certainly has more experience of 'serious' use of them than most other folks.

I have rarely used the old Victory Compact 8x20 'seriously' and I found the small exit pupil difficult when stalking birds or animals and using cover to hide behind and then lean out to get a view. In these contorted positions getting aligned with the exit pupil was tricky (I wear spectacles). OK it was by no means impossible but it took that extra bit of time and movement which could reveal my presence to the bird or animal. If you confine yourself to viewing from paths and tracks where you can maintain normal posture this wouldn't be an issue.

Lee

Thank you

I've purchased the Swarovski Cl Companion 10x30 and just "unboxed" them. At 17 1/2 oz, they're right on the cusp of "should I go the other way?"-5 oz more you have 10x32 ELs, 5 oz less you have Zeiss Pockets or Swaro Compacts. The CLs are very comfortable, easy and intuitive to use, definitely adequate. But I would put the glass in the mid-range, no better than Vortex or perhaps Zen Ray. What shines is the Swaro design: balance, weight, easy to use, albeit a little finicky getting the hinge opened just right. However, I don't find them dazzlingly sharp, or contrast brilliant. So I'm curious.

Any possibility that the Zeiss Pocket 10x25 (latest version) has BETTER coatings, glass, view than the CLS? Granted weaker twilight factor, slightly smaller exit pupil, I'm tempted to compare, but will keep the Cls if you guys think I'm wasting my time.

Update

OK-after some neurosis, I'm keepn the CLs. The only real negative is 10 foot close focus. I'd rather these same bins weighed 11-12 oz, but I can live with actual weight. I can actually bird with these guys after and before first/last light.

I bought at Sports Optics (first time purchase) and they were great. I got 13% discount-valid til 4/30/18. If anyone's on the fence for new ELs, eg., 13% off the top ain't too shabby.

Thanks for feedback.

I hope that you will be happy with your new Swaro 10X30 CL Companions. Are they the latest version? They were recently updated and the new ones have gotten rave reviews on the Swarovski forum. They have the field pro type attachments for the straps and the diopter adjustment is now in the center focus wheel instead of the right eyepiece. The optics are said to be significantly better in the new version. I myself am seriously thinking about them being my next binocular acquisition.

Regarding the compacts, I don't have the Zeiss Victories, old or new, as I am not a fan of their single hinge design, but I do have both the Zeiss Terra ED 8X25s and the Swaro 8X25 CL pockets. I have to say that they are both really good. The glass is excellent for my purposes, and they are not "fiddly" like the 8x20s etc. They both feel good in the hand and I have no problem viewing wildlife. I can hold them very steady.

I prefer the feel and build of the Swaros, and plan to keep them as they are a joy to use for me. But really, the Terras are excellent as well and made in Japan. And they focus much closer and the glass, although I believe that the Swaro is a bit better, is competitive. And they are even lighter than the Swaros.

You might want to still have a look at the Terras, if you still want a lighter, smaller bin. They are far less expensive than comparable Swaros, Victories, or Leicas, usually running around a third of the price of the others. The Terras did have a problem with "floppy hinges". Mine did, and they replaced them with new ones. The new ones are perfect. I wouldn't hesitate on them now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back