• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abeillia abeillei (1 Viewer)

Susan Manchester

Does anyone have access to the Catalogue des oiseaux composant la collection de feu le Dr Abeille, de Bordeaux. I am (of course) trying to find out what Dr Abeille's full name was. I don't think it was the entomologist Abeille de Perrin, because they came from Marseilles.

Thank you so much, Xenospiza, for your reply to my inquiry! I am so sorry it took me so long to get back here, but I am a homeschooling mother, and I very often have fourteen or fifteen topics of research going at the same time.

Catalogue des oiseaux composant la collection de feu le Dr Abeillé , de Bordeaux

Catalogue des oiseaux composant la collection de feu le Dr Abeillé , de Bordeaux 1850 is apparently on Google Books, but since I´m living in Europe (Sweden) I´m not allowed to see it! Due to Google Books Restrictions.

In any case; I wouldn´t trust the notation "Dr. Grégoire Abeillé" by Google Books (it could be right, it could be wrong, they are certainly no librarians) but I wouldn´t be surprised if the content of the book states another First name!? Maybe this link can make you sure, and reveal the mysterious "Docteur Abeillé" ... that is if you can open it!?

See link:http://books.google.se/books?id=Se05QwAACAAJ&dq=Gr%C3%A9goire+Abeill%C3%A9&hl=sv&sa=X&ei=hw1UUs6vK-qs4ASS5IGgCw&redir_esc=y

The Type description for Abeillia abeillei LESSON & DELATTRE 1839 only states: "Dédié au docteur Abeillé, de Bordeaux."

------
PS. The following birds are, as I understand it, also commemorating the same Monsieur Abeillé: Hesperiphona abeillei LESSON 1839 + Orchesticus abeillei LESSON 1839. = Both under the head-line: "Oiseaux rares ou nouveaux de la collection du Docteur Abeillé, á Bordeaux." + Icterus abeillei LESSON 1839; = "Mus. Abeillé." + Arremon abeillei LESSON 1844 = shortly mentioned in the same article, only, as: "docteur Abeillé".

His wife is commemorated, as well, in two subspecies, in the same journals, by the same Lesson: 
"Chizaerhis Feliciae" = today (Amazilia) Saucerottia tobaci feliciae LESSON 1839 (1840) = "Mus. Dr Abeillé. – Avis dedicatus Dominæ Felicie Abeillé."
"Ornismya Feliciana" = today Damophila julie feliciana LESSON 1844 = "Le nom de cet oiseaux est celui de Madame Félicie Abeillé que cultive lʼOrnithologie avec goût et don’t le mari posséde une magnifique collection dʼoiseaux rares et précieux."

Maybe this can lead you any further?

In any case; Good luck with Dr. Abeillé!

Last edited:
For the sake of accuracy; Chizaerhis feliciae = Corythaixoides concolor (Musophagidae)
James, I was apparently to quick (again ... sigh!), I missed the synonymity and happened to look in the wrong Revue Zoologique and I apologize ... this is (exactly like you said!) what´s stated on World Bird Info:
#Corythaixoides concolor concolor {sMalawi,nMozambique south to South Africa:east Transvaal.east Swaziland.east Zululand}
$Opaethus persa juv. [as Opæthus] Lesson,1830["1831"],Traité d'Ornithologie,livr.3(Jul.),p.123.
$Coliphimus concolor A.Smith,1836,Report of the Expedition for Exploring Central Africa,App.,p.54.
$Chizaeris concolor [as Chizæris] A.Smith,1838,Illustrations of the zoology of South Africa,Pt.I(July),pl.2.
$Chizaeris feliciae [as Chizæris feliciæ] Lesson,1839,Revue et Magasin de Zoologie pure et appliquée,Paris,p.101.(South Africa).
See link: http://www.worldbirdinfo.net/Pages/BirdCitationView.aspx?BirdID=33869&Source=%2FPages%2FBirdsSearch.aspx%3FBirdField%3D9%26BirdSearch%3DMUSOPHAGIDAE%253ATuracos

#Amazilia tobaci feliciae {ncVenezuela:northern.cordilleras.from.Carabobo.to.Miranda;west.of.Andes.in.west.Táchira:Seboruco.&.west.Mérida:La_Azulita;east.of.Andes.from.east.Táchira:petrolea;Burgua}
#(ctd): west.Apure;northwest.Barinas;Portuguesa.&.Cojedes.&.Guárico.to.southeast.Anzoategui}
<Ornismya feliciae [as Feliciæ] Lesson,1840,Revue Zoologique,p.72. (District of Sao José,Brazil, error = Venezuela.)
$Ornismya feliciana Lesson,1844,Revue Zoologique,p.433.
$Erythronota feliciae [as feliciæ] Gould,1849,A monograph of the Trochilidæ, or family of humming birds,5,pl.317.
$Saucerottia feliciae [as [Saucerottia] feliciæ] Bonaparte,1854,Revue et Magasin de Zoologie pure et appliquée,p.255.
$Saucerottia feliciae [as [Chlorestes g[amma] Saucerottia] feliciæ] Reichenbach,1855,Journal für Ornithologie,2,Extraheft:Erinnerungsschrift zum Gedächtnisse an die VII. Jahresversammlung der Deutschen Ornithologen-Gesellschaft,Beitrag:Aufzählung der
See link: http://www.worldbirdinfo.net/Pages/BirdCitationView.aspx?BirdID=34663&Source=%2FPages%2FBirdsSearch%2Easpx%3FBirdField%3D0%26BirdSearch%3DAmazilia%2520tobaci

Type description for "Ornismya Feliciæ" LESSON 1840 (p.72) doesn´t add anything add all.

James, it feel good having you "out there" supervising any mistakes! Thanks!

I am pretty sure it is Jonas Louis Abeille born 28th november 1809 in St Tropez. https://archive.org/stream/dictionnaireinte01gubeuoft#page/11/mode/1up He died 10th October 1893 in Paris http://gw.geneanet.org/verkimpe?lang=fr;p=jonas;n=abeille

How do I come to this conclusion? According to dedication this guy was doctor in Bordeaux http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/19515#page/24/mode/1up If you look at the title page of "Traité Des Maladies À Urines Albumineuses Et Sucrées, Ou, De L'albuminurie Et Du Diabète Sucré Dans Leurs Rapports Avec Les Maladies" http://books.google.de/books?id=mADEoKTyejgC&pg=PP5#v=onepage&q&f=false you can see the realtionship with Jonas Abeille to Bordeaux as well.

I can't really offer any additional details about Dr Abeillé, but still would like to note that the title:
Catalogue des oiseaux composant la collection de feu le Dr Abeillé, de Bordeaux
means "Catalogue of the birds making up the collection of the late Dr Abeillé, of Bordeaux".

If this catalogue was issued in 1850, Dr Abeillé must have been dead by this time. (Richmond (1908) supposed that the collection was being sold, and the catalogue issued at this occasion.)
Incidentally, I wouldn't really expect the author of a book with such a title to have been the owner of the collection himself.

Last edited:
I agree with Laurent. Jonas L. Abeillé (1809-1893) is not the Dr Abeillé of Bordeaux we are searching for. Our Dr Abeillé was alive in 1844 (see description of Ornismya Feliciana Lesson, 1844 (= Juliamyia julie feliciana)), but had died by 1850 (as shown by Laurent). The quest continues!

Too many bees ...

OK, I agree. Here http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/19515#page/109/mode/1up are other dedications for both and Lesson wrote about a museum Abeillé.
The same Abeillé is also mentioned on pp. 40, 136 and 167, in the same Journal ... but I don´t think those pages add anything additional. He is (anyway from what I saw) abscent in the 1840-1848 issues.

I´ve given it a good try, but it is close to impossible to find just about anything of the mysterious late Docteur Abeillé of Bordeaux, on the internet (there´s another one, later than 1850, in Paris) ... as Abeille is the French word for beehive. And there is a lot of bees, their keepers, hives and honey "out there"!

I guess the truth is hidden i French archives or in the notes alt. personal correspondence by Lesson. But that acquires knowledge of French, far, far out of my league. I give up!

Good luck on any future attemts to find this elusive "Docteur Beehive"!

Mark's Google Books link is to the first volume of a general catalogue of the printed books kept at the French national library (Bibliothèque nationale de France), printed in 1897. As often with Google, the book itself cannot be consulted if the request comes from Europe. With a request from the US, on p. 39, you'd see:
ABEILLÉ (Dr Grégoire).--Catalogue des oiseaux composants la collection de feu le Dr Abeillé. . . Bordeaux, impr. de T. Lafargue, 1850. In-8°. Pièce.
[Sp. 1690
Thus the first name listed by Google and Amazon appears to be confirmed in a library catalogue written by real librarians.

And if you search for "Grégoire Abeillé", you indeed find references to an 1829 thesis from Montpellier, that had as its title "Essai sur la dysménorrhée". I don't think "Abeillé" (ending with -é [acute accent], unlike "abeille" = a bee) is a common name, hence this is indeed most likely to be the same person.

Type description for "Ornismya Feliciæ" LESSON 1840 (p.72) doesn´t add anything add all.

I am a little bit confused. No doubt Ornismya feliciana was dedicated to Félicie Abeillé. On p. 434 is written:

Le nom de cet oiseau et celui de Madame Félicie Abeillé qui cultive l'ornithologie avec goût et dont le mari posséde une magnifique collection d'oiseaux rare et précieux.

But are we sure from description of Ornismya feliciae that subsp. Amazilia tobaci is as well for Félicie Abeillé as mentioned in the key. I would search this dedication either in the environment/relatives of Lesson, Charles Parzudaki or Agathe-François Gouÿe de Longuemare first. But from what I understood here no relative (wifes/children) of Lesson. From what we discussed here I think no relationship to Parzudaki either. I might be worth to research on him. But Gouÿe de Longuemare seems to have married on 20. April 1822 a Françoise Marie Rosalie Joséphine né Marzy here p. 16 of 51)

Note: Especially Mulsant mixed up some facts here.

Last edited:
About Dr Grégoire Abeillé probably born 1799 if we look here p. 39 of 147 (entry 357)

Le ?? jour, à deux heures de relevée tout comparis les sieur Henri Duprery, Capitaine de Marin rue Duplais galier 81. J. Jacques Guchnous out declarè que, Gregoire Abeillé jeune age de quarante neuf as natif de Eysines (or Eynesse??), gironde, médicine, épous de Jeanne Francoise Uira Féliciié grand fils de Defauth Bernard Abeillé Marie lassalle en decede ceinaty à quatre heures ....

There might be some errors as it is horrible to read.

Last edited:
"Is that possibly also the wife" Was wondering that also. Both names formed in Ornismya what is the difference in meaning of feliciana (no capital) clearly named for Mrs Bee and Feliciae ? Charles W. Richmond had the book collection of the birds of the late Dr. A. in his review of Rothschild's Exctinct Birds he says "Strigiceps leueopogon Lesson, is introduced on page 30, but its identifi-
cation is still uncertain. The type was probably in the collection of Dr.
Abeille, of Bordeaux, but in any event, if one could only consult the col-
lection of colored drawings at one time in Lesson^s possession (c/. P. Z. S.,
1855, 212), its determination would probably be quite simple.^ . 1 Abeille’s collection was an important one, containing about 1500 specimens, (actually 1699)
including nearly one hundred of Lesson’s types (described chiefly in the ‘Echo du
Monde Savant’). It was probably sold, after Abeill6’s death, since a little pam-
phlet (‘Catalogue des Oiseaux composant la Collection de feu le Dr. Abeille, de
Bordeaux,* 44 pp.) was published in 1850, giving a list of the specimens in it. On
p. 15, we find Abeille had one specimen of Strigiceps leueopogon. Here the locality
is stated to be “Himalaya.” So simple the pamphlet must be in the Smithsonian library but it is not and Richmond donated his library to many places. https://siarchives.si.edu/collections/siris_arc_217538 .

Last edited:
There might be some eroors as it is horrible to read.
I'd make it something like:
Le dit jour, à deux heures de relevée, sont comparus les sieurs Henri Dupony, capitaine de navire, rue du palais galien 81, & Jacques Cuignoux, étudiant en médecine, allée d'amour 12, témoins majeurs, lesquels nous ont déclaré que, Grégoire Abeillé, jeune, âgé de quarante-neuf ans, natif d'Eysines, Gironde, médecin, époux de Jeanne Françoise Elisa Félicie Gard, fils de défunts Bernard Abeillé & Marie Lassalle, est décédé ce matin à quatre heures, rue St Etienne, lecture faite du présent, les témoins ont signé avec nous.
"Le dit jour" (= "On said day") was (first entry of the page; #354):
Le trente mars mil huit cent quarante huit

what is the difference in meaning of feliciana (no capital) clearly named for Mrs Bee and Feliciae ?
feliciana is an adjective formed from Felicia, Feliciae is the name Felicia in the genitive case. Same difference as, e.g, "Wilsonian" vs. "Wilson's".

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back