• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite Bug (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
What's your fav bug? My favourite has always been The Ladybird I was so facinated with them when I was little use to put them in bug jars and let them go the next day Rember making such a mess in the garden looking for them they were just so facinating.

Personally, I don't care for bugs but I must admit, I do like dragonflies. They always land on me when I'm watering the vegetable garden. They eat mosquitos and blackflies so how could anyone NOT like them?? Plus, they're just plain cool to watch.

Ooh SO many but, apart from butterflies & dragonflies which everybody has to like as they are just fantastic, I'm rather fond of earwigs (fascinating breeding habits), Preying Mantids ,Ladybirds ands just Beetles (coleoptera) in general as they are so colourful and interesting....first time I saw my first Dor Beetle was absolutely gobsmacking! I never realised that such HUGE beetles could be found in the UK!!! And I'm really looking forward to rooting amongst a few cow pats this summer!

GILL

I love the shield bugs, we have lots of Green Shieldbugs in the garden but I would really like to see a Eurydema ornata which is a red and black shieldbug, apparently found where I live - but I've never seen one. And of course I love ladybirds too.

Nerine

Gill Osborne said:
I'm really looking forward to rooting amongst a few cow pats this summer!

GILL

Gill,

please remember that we have many American visitors to Bird Forum and that some of our English words, have a totally different meaning over the other side of the 'Pond.'

I only point this out to save you some embarrassment. lol. |:S|

Harry.

I like some round beetles which are shiny and look like a cross between polished metal jewelry and a coated candy. :)

I don't think we have them here, but I like watching Dung Beetles roll their Little dung balls around on the T.V. They're so tenacious.

Mike

harry eales said:
Gill,

please remember that we have many American visitors to Bird Forum and that some of our English words, have a totally different meaning over the other side of the 'Pond.'

I only point this out to save you some embarrassment. lol. |:S|

Harry.

So what did I say wrong? LOL

I've heard of our uk pavements being called sidewalks in the USA etc and a few other things which don't instantly spring to mind.....but I'm stumped as to what is wrong with rooting? Or shall I just cringe with embarrassment now LOL

Gill *rather puzzled - somebody PM with the meaning - pleeeeaze* :h?:

Gill Osborne said:

I've heard of our uk pavements being called sidewalks in the USA etc and a few other things which don't instantly spring to mind.....but I'm stumped as to what is wrong with rooting? Or shall I just cringe with embarrassment now LOL

Hello Gill,

You have a PM.

Harry

Gill Osborne said:

Rooting=sex in the States

harry eales said:
Hello Chris,

I didn't know my 'rep' had reached the I.O.M. lol.

Harry
YOU MEAN YOU ACTUALLY EMPLOY REPRESENTITIVES TO DO YOUR WOOING FOR YOU NOW??? WOW WHAT A PRO!!!

Colin.

Last edited:
mothman said:
YOU MEAN YOU ACTUALLY EMPLOY REPRESENTITIVES TO DO YOUR WOOING FOR YOU NOW??? WOW WHAT A PRO!!!

Colin.

I'm innocent of these scurrilous accusations, I'm pleading not guilty, and will base my defence on temporary insanity, induced by visiting the Bird Forum Website.

Lol.

Harry

My recent point of interest is robber flies- I observe them occasionanally buzzing around on forest roads. They seem to be looking for nectar but from what I've read they are quite predatory. When one will hover near you they can freak you out because they look.... freaky in their bee suits. They hover with their front legs hanging down and have kind of a weird look. You have to see one to know what I'm talking about. These ones are the size of medium bumblebees. Absolutely creepy and they are predatory! Cool.

Bug which made money machine to give $20 instead of $10 notes is my favourite. Pity never met any in real life :(

I've just read Harry's PM as to the meaning!

WHOOPS!!!!!! I do apologise to any USA members I may have offended :flowers:

Cerainly brings up a BIZARRE picture in my head though......I know I've been described as weird in the past but rolling amongst cow pats - think I'll give THAT one a miss!!! Think my dear hubby might just have something to say about that LOL *can imagine how much he's going to laugh when I tell him about my latest foot-in-mouth gaffe!

Errrr....just amend my post to 'turning over cow pats to look for dung beetles'.....Surely THAT can't have any hidden meanings ;) LOL

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back