• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bats Hunting indoors (1 Viewer)

Nigel Davies

On Tuesday evening I watched bats hunting inside a large outbuilding, it was teeming with rain outside. This is the first time I saw this and I would be interested if any one else has witnessed this happening.

Nigel

Nigel,

Yes this is quite common. Bats will often forage within buildings, and not just large ones. It's possible that the bats have roosted within the building and are using it to mop up a few morsels before heading out into the open, or that they use it as a sheltered spot as part of their normal feeding circuit.

Given the heavy rain you mention it's not surprising that they chose to remain indoors - there are probably many midges etc inside the building.

Try waking up to several ;)

As a kid we would usually get to our mountain log cabin summer home late at night for the first visit of spring. I can remember being about 12-13 and waking up in the bedroom to whishing sounds. When this happened the first time, I screamed bloody murder when I realized what I was hearing and then seeing and was the jist of many jokes from my older brothers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back