• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Oxford (1 Viewer)

Birds 4ever

Is it just me or do non-birders see rare birds you
Hi,

For this winter, I've got a list of 'must see' birds - can anybody help with when and where to see them?

Golden plover(port meadow and otmoor)
Snipe(port meadow?)
Pintail(otmoor)
Bramblings and siskins(RSPB church wood?)
Water rail
Smew

and many other I can't think of at the moment....

I don't want to travel far but if anybody could suggest any good birding spots in Oxford or around Oxford for winter, that'll be great!

Hi,

For this winter, I've got a list of 'must see' birds - can anybody help with when and where to see them?

Golden plover(port meadow and otmoor)
Snipe(port meadow?)
Pintail(otmoor)
Bramblings and siskins(RSPB church wood?)
Water rail
Smew

and many other I can't think of at the moment....

I don't want to travel far but if anybody could suggest any good birding spots in Oxford or around Oxford for winter, that'll be great!

If you can get to Port Meadow and Otmoor, you should get most of your targets, and much more besides. Smew are not very reliable as far up as Oxford but Radley gravel pits or Dorchester GPs are the most likely. Check the Oxfordshire we sites and blogs for local news.

Links are from here: http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/oxon/links.asp

ATB

Robin

Thanks - I may put smew off 'must see birds' list then(it's just that it's so tempting because in my Where to Watch Bird book literally every site in Oxford says 'possible smew'!!!)

Ok few more:

Lesser Redpoll(Shotover??)
Bitterns(Otmoor??)
Hen harrier(Possibly Otmoor?)
Common gull(Port meadow, if I could identify them, that is.)
Any owls(I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY OWLS. Can you believe it? Even tawny owls!)

Should be able to see most of these at the sites mentioned. You can check the regularly updated blogs to see when certain birds are around.

As for the owls, don't know where you can guarantee a tawny, but barn owls tend to be easy if you know where to go. One spot is the fields by the river around the far end of farmoor reservoir. Go there at dusk (or an hour before) and you should see one.

Thanks - I've heard that there are a few little owls near farmoor so should go and check this winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back