• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$400 binocular?? (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I have a bud that wants to spend $400, no more. Vortex Viper HDs are a little more than he's willing to spend. I have the Vanguard Endeavor ED II.....I think it would be hard to beat for $400. Monarch 7 8X42? Leopold BX-3? Bushnell Elite E2?

I would also recommend the Leupold Mojave. I have a 8x32, and have seen the 8x42. It is an excellent, made in Japan binocular- sold by a company with good CS record. It is IMO- excellent for its price point.

The McKinley is a nice binocular and I kind of wish I hadn't sold mine, or had bought a 10x42 to keep.

For my work duties using work funds I recently purchased a 8x32 MeoPro HD demo at $375 and it outperforms the Viper HD and is similar in quality to the Conquest HD, IMO.

I personally like the Zeiss Terra ED in 8x42 (US$349 @ B&H right now) but I know others differ from me about them.

...Mike

If you have the Vanguard, let him use it for awhile. If he likes it, deal done, get one of those. Other suggestions above this are good glass as well. Fit and ergonomics are probably more important than optics at that level. Most are decent glass, get one that fits.
;)

I'd say your two best bets for getting the most bang for your buck at that price point
would be the either the ubiquitous Nikon Monarch 7 8 x 42 that you mentioned or the
the much more obscure Snypex ED 8 x 42. I've tried the Monarch and thought it was excellent (much
better than the 10 x 42 model), and honestly was a bit skeptical about the quality of something that I'd never
heard of but fortunately another birder let me try out their Snypex and all I can say is I was quite impressed. I couldn't really find anything online about them other than this review:

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Snypex8x42KnightED-129.htm

I was in the market for a $400-$500 bin myself so I decided to pick up the 8 x 50 version of the Snypex and love it.

another for the terra 8x42....nothing about them that jump out at you but a well built solid performer....

Theron Questa 8x42 - $425 with coupon code. My current "go-to" binocular. Nothing else combines all of its features and performance (short of the ZR Prime or now discontinued McKinley both of which provided some eyecup fit issues for some folks).

Field flattener in eyepiece
Wide field of view
Dielectric prism coatings
ED glass in the objective design
Great ergonomics
Redesigned eyecups to better fit a wide variety of users

Thanks for the recommendations!

That Snypex 8X42 LOOKS like something I've seen before....hmmm.

The Theron Questa...I'm SURE it is a fine choice... I'll see if he can swallow $425.

Zeiss Terra....Good for the money I'm sure and not trying to step on any toes BUT...Zeiss and MIC....I don't know if I can get past that. Considering it though, especially since the price has come down some.

So that basically leaves the Monarch 7 and Leupold Mojave, either in 8X42. A few days ago(always the case), I found a Monarch 7 for like $390...now $401. The Mojave can be found several places for $300 to $350. Anyone think the Monarch 7 is say, $75 more binocular than the Mojave?

I have a bud that wants to spend $400, no more. Vortex Viper HDs are a little more than he's willing to spend. I have the Vanguard Endeavor ED II.....I think it would be hard to beat for $400. Monarch 7 8X42? Leopold BX-3? Bushnell Elite E2?
Does he have to have a waterproof roof? If not the best view you can get at $400 is the Nikon 8x30 EII. It is a little better than the Theron Questa ED 8x42 in my opinion.

Does he have to have a waterproof roof? If not the best view you can get at $400 is the Nikon 8x30 EII. It is a little better than the Theron Questa ED 8x42 in my opinion.

Really...this was my first thought....and it would be a fine choice EXCEPT for the waterproof issue...

Thanks for everyones suggestions.. We went with the Monarch 7 8X42. Will let you know thoughts about it later...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back