• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Farne and Puffins (1 Viewer)

Dave Derrick

Supporter
England
Realise Puffins generally will have gone by now, but my question concerns a visit I will be making next May. If I land on Inner Farne, about how far will I have to walk to see Puffins fairly close ? Probably will not have time to land on Staple Island as well. Very many thanks, Dave.

Not very far at all. The trail round the island is only a few hundred yards in total. The areas you can access are very limited - it will be obvious why when you get there. Both Inner Farne and Staple give excellent close views (just a few feet away) of several species although personally I prefer Staple for Puffins. There usually seem to be more off duty birds just loafing about on the rocks often in large groups. It is well worth landing on both if you can find the time.

The downside to both is the crowds of people though personally I find the experience of being in the middle of a large seabird colony makes it easy to filter out the crowds and focus on the birds. One visit is definitely not enough!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back