• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Under $300.00 and company turnaround time. (1 Viewer)

Hello all, this is my first post.
I want to get a pair of binoculars for bird and animal viewing. I work at home and my computer sits next to the sliding door to my deck I have an awesome view of a deep valley and a long woods line about 300 yards away. I see deer all the time, also turkey, fox, mink, etc,. The variety of birds is astounding I especially like the hawks, owls, and exotic smaller birds.
I get to see lots along the wood line but like I say it's 300 yards away and my Leupold 9x25A's don't cut it at at that range.
What is a really good Binocular for under 300 and a company with a great warranter and turnaround time.
A lot of people here seem to like the 828 HHs but I'm wondering if I shouldn't go for something more like a 10X50, opinions please.
Changeling

Hi Changeling and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

I'm inclined to echo Bill's suggestion. I think you would bring the wildlife in a lot closer with a scope.

I don't want the hassles of a scope! I need the freedom of the binoculars. When I can get away for a walk I have a viewing area out to 500 yards or as close as 15 feet or so.
So, if you don't mind, Binoculars only. Do any of you guys view out that far? I don't expect to see a thrush or a humming birds feather detail, but it is awesome to see fawns playing up close, or a "Red Tailed" hawk swoop in on a ground hog.
Can you help ?
Changeling

If I plan on viewing at a distance of 500 yards I'm taking a scope, PERIOD. I'll use bins if that's all I have on me.

Unless the optical quality of the Leupolds is dismal, I doubt a 10x50 is going to show you a whole lot more detail. The field of view and brightness may improve. 10x50s are probably going to be on the heavy side too. The extra mag may be offset by shake. Someone else may be able to recommend some 12x or 15 x bins, but those are likely to be monsters. Mounting these on a tripod will help.

AFAIK, Swarovski is the only company that offers warranty service that stands out from the other manufacturer's. Unfortunately $300 will only get you a case.

Hi Changeling,
Welcome to the forum. I regularly walk around a local area of salt-marsh and mud-flats and the viewing distance ranges up to hundreds of yards. Under these conditions my favourite binoculars are 10x50 (Swift Kestrel) and 12x50 (Pentax PCF WP). I'm not always looking to study an individual bird, more to enjoy a nice view of birds and animals in their environment. I agree with the other posts in that a scope is needed to see a lot more at long range but I get the sense this is not where you're coming from.
Hope this helps.
SolentBirder

Various

Hi Changeling,
Firstly, welcome to BF. Re the Bino's, I think you would find anything more than 10x can be hard on the eyes if you use them very much. Even with 10x I think you find it best to use them on a tripod.
Also, is there any chance you could post a photo of the view from you window? Sounds as if it's a pretty good one!

Cheers,

madmike

solentbirder said:
Hi Changeling,
Welcome to the forum. I regularly walk around a local area of salt-marsh and mud-flats and the viewing distance ranges up to hundreds of yards. Under these conditions my favourite binoculars are 10x50 (Swift Kestrel) and 12x50 (Pentax PCF WP). I'm not always looking to study an individual bird, more to enjoy a nice view of birds and animals in their environment. I agree with the other posts in that a scope is needed to see a lot more at long range but I get the sense this is not where you're coming from.
Hope this helps.
SolentBirder

SolentBirder, finally, you have the right perspective on the situation. I don't want to go higher than 10 in Mag, and my thinking on the 50mm objectives is that they will help somewhat viewing into the wood line (forest).
I am not new to "spotting scopes" at all. I had a Kowa until some one decided it would look better in there vehicle than inside my truck!! Get the picture?
When I go for walks or just want to pick up and grab a quick view of whatever, a spotting scope is far from the right tool for the job. Now if I was concerned with viewing a specific area of the wood line or a species of something that stayed rather put I would agree with everyone else. but I have been there, done it, so I know what I need.
Are the Swift Kestrels the best bang for the buck in under $300.00 ?

Otto McDiesel, From what you do for a living I would think you had a ton of experience with 10x50's. Are you telling me the three 10x42's you recommend are the equal are better for my intended purpose? Confused.

MadMike, man i wish i could but i don't have any way to post a Picture. My next computer will handle these tasks, and it isn't to far away!

Changeling

Changeling said:
SolentBirder, finally, you have the right perspective on the situation....... Are the Swift Kestrels the best bang for the buck in under $300.00 ?

Unfortunately I don't think the Kestrel is a current model (but here's an old review I found on the web http://www.telescopes.uk.com/Reviews/Swift10x50.htm)
Without busting the budget I'd recommend the current Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II. This is highly regarded amongst amateur astronomers (which is saying something) and is relatively inexpensive. Eye relief is very good and they're waterproof. I have the previous model in 12x50 which is excellent and very well balanced in the hands. Let us know what you end up with.
Good luck with your decisions.
Solent Birder

Last edited:
Soilentbirder thank you very much for your input, I was hoping some of the other guys would join in on a 10x50 conversation but I guess there is a lack of experience in the area. I'll check out the Pentax and let you know, thanks again.
Changeling

Changeling said:
Soilentbirder thank you very much for your input, I was hoping some of the other guys would join in on a 10x50 conversation but I guess there is a lack of experience in the area. I'll check out the Pentax and let you know, thanks again.
Changeling

Just a thought...I'm not sure what prices are like where you are, but the Pentax 10x50 DCF SP roof prism binocular is very nice too. I didn't suggest it before because these are well over £350 in the UK but maybe they're cheaper over there ?

Changeling said:
Changeling

I've been watching. Take a look at: http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=328&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=

These are Orion's new 10x50 Savannah Waterproof Porros, at a price of $259. I didn't try the 10x in the store, but was very, very impressed with the 8x42s. These are made in Japan, and have twist-up eyecups. Very solid with nice focus control. They also sell a phase-corrected 10x50 Savannah, but the price point is $369. These are all very nice products that I wouldn't mind owning. Alas, I have too many others.

Enjoy the view whatever you do.
Elkcub

PS. I really think you would be much better off with 10x35/40/42 binoculars. The field of view and short focus distance are much better. At the moment it is still possible to buy the Nikon 10x35 E or EII on eBay for $300±. Either of these superb binoculars will give you most of the range, brightness, and clarity that a 10x will provide. Once these are gone Nikon will make no more. (I own the 10x35 E.)

Last edited:
Swift Kestrels 10x50 are a blast! I did 1 year of field work on shorebirds with it and i rarely needed a scope. They are big and heavy, but if you have average sized hands you should be ok. They are not waterproof, but in terms of optical quality they are equivalent to the $1000-1500 binos. If you will not drag them for many hours, it's one of the best $300 binoculars out there: needle sharp, bright enough for any weather, excellent depth of field (little focusing needed). They do have a close focus of 5-6 yards, but that's not so bad. The 10x42's roof prism at $300 are not better than the Kestrels, other than being waterproof. I am a wildlife biologist.

Last edited:
Otto, thanks for the quick review on the Kestrels, I am going to check them out, Definitely!
Mad Mike. Not as bad as I do! I have the case, hard drive, etc. Now I am just investigating MBs with 939 slot capability and Legacy Parallel and Serial ports! It is becoming a nightmare!!
Changeling

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back