• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopidae (3 Viewers)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
Maybe(?) overlooked interesting paper from 2009:
PÄCKERT, M., BLUME, C., SUN, Y.-H., WEI, L. and MARTENS, J. (2009), Acoustic differentiation reflects mitochondrial lineages in Blyth's leaf warbler and white-tailed leaf warbler complexes (Aves: Phylloscopus reguloides, Phylloscopus davisoni). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 96: 584–600. doi: 10.1111/j.1095-8312.2008.01159.x
Abstract

Martin Päckert, Jochen Martens, Yue-Hua Sun & Dieter Thomas Tietze, 2009. Phylogeography and the evolutionary time-scale of passerine radiations in the Sino-Himalayan region (Aves: Passeriformes).
Pdf

Maybe(?) overlooked interesting paper from 2009:
PÄCKERT, M., BLUME, C., SUN, Y.-H., WEI, L. and MARTENS, J. (2009)...
Thanks, Peter. I don't remember seeing this paper before.

Beware Fig 2(B), showing the distribution of records of the P davisoni complex – ogilviegranti and disturbans seem to have been inadvertantly transposed on the map. For a moment it had me thinking that I'd completely misunderstood this group!

[No doubt these complexes will also be well-covered by Jochen Martens in the forthcoming Systematic Notes on Asian Birds: 72. A preliminary review of the leaf warbler genera Phylloscopus and Seicercus.]

Richard

Last edited:
Martens 2010

Martens 2010. Systematic notes on Asian birds: 72. A preliminary review of the leaf warbler genera Phylloscopus and Seicercus. BOC Occas Publs 5: 41-116.

Splits recognised (cf IOC):

Within the Phylloscopus fuscatus complex, weigoldi is treated as a ssp of P fuligiventer (following Martens et al 2008).
[See also www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=132650]

Potential splits not recognised include:

• Phylloscopus (collybita) tristis
    [*]Phylloscopus (sindianus) lorenzii
    [CSNA]
  • Phylloscopus (humei) mandellii [CSNA]
  • Phylloscopus (trochiloides) nitidus [IOC, H&M3, Clements, HBW, AERC, BOU, CSNA, OSME]
  • Phylloscopus (trivirgatus) nigrorum [IOC]
Richard

Last edited:
For the Arctic Warbler splits, what do you mean (cf IOC)? That they are not splits currently recognized, because I can't find these species listed.

For the Arctic Warbler splits, what do you mean (cf IOC)? That they are not splits currently recognized, because I can't find these species listed.
Sorry, I just meant cf (confer: compare/contrast) IOC - to identify differences taking IOC's current treatment as the closest well-known baseline.

Richard

Last edited:
John Boyd has updated his excellent website to reflect the leaf-warbler splits

http://www.jboyd.net/Taxo/changes.html

Question: Does the common name for xanthodryas come from Martens 2010, or something else? I haven't heard Japanese Warbler before used, but am more familiar with Pacific Warbler as a common name (and I admit it sounds better, mostly because there seem to be many more birds with Japanese as a describer in their name)

http://www.jboyd.net/Taxo/changes.htmlQUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure the names are correct - HBW 11 gives the range of examinandus (which it synonymizes with xanthodryas) as the Southern Kurils and Japan (and presumably Sakhalin?), leaving xanthodryas (s.s.) from Chukotka and Kamchatka. So I'm not sure who got it right. |:S|

I presume kennicotti would belong with one of these species too?

http://www.jboyd.net/Taxo/changes.htmlQUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure the names are correct - HBW 11 gives the range of examinandus (which it synonymizes with xanthodryas) as the Southern Kurils and Japan (and presumably Sakhalin?), leaving xanthodryas (s.s.) from Chukotka and Kamchatka. So I'm not sure who got it right. |:S|

Map with the ranges:
Saitoh et al. BMC Evolutionary Biology 2010, 10:35

P borealis superspecies

Question: Does the common name for xanthodryas come from Martens 2010, or something else? I haven't heard Japanese Warbler before used, but am more familiar with Pacific Warbler as a common name (and I admit it sounds better, mostly because there seem to be many more birds with Japanese as a describer in their name)
Jochen Martens discusses the history of conflicting usage of the names xanthodryas and examinandus (as evident in the earlier thread), exacerbated by the fact that both types are from non-breeding locations, but follows Saitoh et al's breeding distribution - ie examinandus in Kamchatka, Sakhalin and at least N Hokkaido; xanthodryas in Japan from Honshu southwards.

Kennicotti remains within P borealis sensu stricto.

Martens doesn't suggest any common names. 'Pacific Warbler' was proposed for P xanthodryas by Reeves et al 2008, but applied to the Kamchatka and Sakhalin populations (examinandus isn't even mentioned). Perhaps it's best to use 'Pacific Warbler' for P xanthodryas sensu lato (ie including examinandus), and 'Japanese/Kamchatka Warblers' for P xanthodryas sensu stricto and P examinandus respectively, as suggested by John Boyd (although placed in Seicercus).

Richard

Last edited:
Since IOC splits off the Tricolored Grebe from this same volume, and possibility that the Phylloscopus splits will also be in the next update?

Ghosh-Harihar, M. (2014), Phylogenetic and ecomorphological structure of assemblages of breeding leaf warblers (Phylloscopidae) along Himalayan elevational gradients. Journal of Biogeography. doi: 10.1111/jbi.12281

Ghosh-Harihar, M. (2014), Phylogenetic and ecomorphological structure of assemblages of breeding leaf warblers (Phylloscopidae) along Himalayan elevational gradients. Journal of Biogeography. doi: 10.1111/jbi.12281

Peter,
That doi brings up seven references in Spanish and two Google code citations. Am I doing something wrong?
MJB

Mike, try this: [abstract]

Thank you, Richard! I'm hanging on with my metaphorical grey matter fingernails after reading the abstract, but "overdispersed assemblages" threatens to send me spinning into the abyss of manic jargon!

Has anyone got a short (Please!) definition/explanation?
MJB
PS Whilst in the RAF, I had a notebook in which I listed words and terms I encountered from any source that could be assigned to the language of Jargonia...

Quoted from Razafindratsima et al, Ecography 35: 1–10, 2012

If competition is a driving factor, closely related species are expected to be unable to coexist because of their high ecological similarity which may lead them to compete too strongly for resources. This situation would favour a community with a higher level of trait-state diversity and phylogenetic separation than one would expect by a random assemblage (overdispersion).

The opposite pattern is expected in the case of environmental filtering, under which habitat characteristics select for species that share certain adaptive traits allowing them to persist in that environment. This situation is thus expected to result in a lower trait state diversity and less phylogenetic separation than expected by random assemblage (under-dispersion or clustering).

The main reference appears to be Webb et al, 2002: http://phylodiversity.net/cwebb/pubs/webb2002_ares.pdf.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back