• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clouded Yellows Again (and Again!) (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

Living in the middle of England, well away from the coast, Clouded Yellow butterflies are not as common here as we might like - we usually have to wait for a 'Clouded Yellow Year.'

And yet...

In 2000 I had several sightings culminating in a mating pair on September 9th of that year. All these instances were at my local site of Burbage Common, Leicestershire.

I heard rumours of sightings over the next couple of years, without seeing any myself.

Last year, on August 4th I found another, in my gallery at: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8792/sort/1/cat/500/page/4
Again, this was in exactly the same area on Burbage Common, where an area of flowers of many species, but mainly Knapweeds, is left late before mowing.

Having found the first Emerald Damselfly for the site on a nearby pool yesterday it was asking too much to strike lucky again today, surely...

Well, imagine my surprise when I saw two Clouded Yellows in the same area again!

These Knapweeds certainly attract those other migrants, Painted Lady butterflies and Silver-Y moths in good numbers but I'm amazed that Clouded Yellows find them so regularly.

They were very flighty (possibly recently-arrived), with one in particular ranging over a wide area, so getting a good shot wasn't as easy as last year's bird, which was a right little poser!

This was the best that I could do this time:

Attachments

• clouded yellow 11 8 04.jpg
    clouded yellow 11 8 04.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 127
scampo said:
A lovely butterfly, Adey. I've never seen one locally.

It took me ages to see my first one- all my mates had seen one before me, but since then I just keep bumping into them. Often in Leicestershire, too!

Any area full of flowers like those Knapweeds in the photo could produce them - rough undisturbed areas can be worth a look.

Hello Adey,
Clouded Yellows, like many other migrant species of insects are always present in far greater numbers, than the records ever indicate. Seeing one, is simply a case of being in the right place, at the right time, and looking in the right direction.

For every one recorded/seen there must be hundreds, if not thousands, of specimens that go unnoticed or unrecognised. In southern England there are far more recorders than in the far north of the country, and therefore migrant species are far more likely to be noticed. In an area like Kent there may be a recorder or even several recorders in every 10Km sq. whereas in say Northumberland there may be only a dozen recorders in the 2000 sq. mile area of the county.

Migratory swarms do disperse over a wide area on making landfall, although some swarms do hold together for a considerable time after making landfall and do penetrate hundreds of miles into the country before breaking up.

I have observed the migratory 'cloud' phenomenon only twice, in both instances the species involved was the Large White Butterfly. The first was perhaps the 'tail end' or remnants of a swarm and was only noticeable because at the time I saw them, I happened to be in an area of habitat (Heather moorland) where it was unusual to see this species at all. Here an estimated 1000 specimens an hour were making their way steadily north in small groups of 3 to 10 specimens. On the second occasion, last year, I drove through a cloud of migrants on my way home, this cloud was some three miles wide and in places it seemed as though I was driving through a cloud of giant snowflakes. In the following days several reports were received from recorders further north of me, all mentioning the tremendous rise in the numbers of Large Whites being seen. Even though it was a common species it was a pleasure to see, although I must admit, I wished they had been Clouded Yellows.

The last time I saw a Clouded Yellow, I rang a friend in Scotland with my 'exciting news' only to be informed he had seen over sixty specimens that day. Grrrrr.

As I said it's a case of being in the right place at the right time. I hope you see many more.

Harry

Last edited:
Hi Harry,

I've never encountered a swarm but I do remember one good Painted Lady year -1996, I think - when we had been to a good butterfly site near to Swindon.

On the drive back home, which was probably over 80 miles, there were individual Painted Ladies flying across the road, every few seconds, literally all the way home.

Adey

Adey Baker said:
Hi Harry,

I've never encountered a swarm but I do remember one good Painted Lady year -1996, I think - when we had been to a good butterfly site near to Swindon.

On the drive back home, which was probably over 80 miles, there were individual Painted Ladies flying across the road, every few seconds, literally all the way home.

Adey
Hi Adey,
You've just reminded me of another migratory cloud I saw, although it wasn't in flight. (I really must be getting old and forgetful) It was in a field I was crossing to access a mire when I was researching Large Heath butterfly distribution in Northumberland. The grass in this field had been sheep grazed to almost bowling green height and apart from an occasional thistle, looked deserted, but walking across the field, dozens of Painted Lady butterflies took of from around my feet, flew a few feet to the side and landed again, this happened on every step I took. It was still fairly cool and no other butterflies were in flight. I suppose in total there must have been hundreds if not thousands of specimens present.

I returned some three hours later and in much warmer conditions, not one Painted Lady was to be seen. This was obviously a migratory swarm that had settled for the night and which had moved on before my return. This happened on the 8/07/1996 according to my notebook, the best year I have ever known for Painted Lady's. Although last year came a close second. This year I don't think I have seen more than a couple of dozen in total. In retrospect I wish I had paid more attention to them at the time, but I was anxious to look for Large Heath.
It must have been a magnificent site when they lifted off to continue their journey. I'll know better next time, if there is a next time.

Harry

Adey Baker said:
This was the best that I could do this time:

Adey

Love your Clouded Yellow photo. It portrays Summer Hope you don't mind if I save it into "My Pictures" collection.

The last time I saw a Clouded Yellow was in 2002 on a coastal stretch which was not cut. Unfortunately that part is now kept manicured. I know they are around here somewhere because other people have been spotting them but I am obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time, as Harry has described. I have seen very few Painted Ladies this summer too - must try and get to the right place!

Thanks for starting this thread, I've enjoyed reading it.

Nerine

You're more than welcome to save the picture, Nerine.

I think the butterflies are attracted to 'my' area regularly because it's not manicured. The rest of the Common has been gradually mowed leaving the Knapweed areas as a sort of oasis for any passing insects - I'm still amazed by how Clouded Yellows seem to find it, unerringly, though!

Adey Baker said:
You're more than welcome to save the picture, Nerine.

I think the butterflies are attracted to 'my' area regularly because it's not manicured. The rest of the Common has been gradually mowed leaving the Knapweed areas as a sort of oasis for any passing insects - I'm still amazed by how Clouded Yellows seem to find it, unerringly, though!

Thanks Adey

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back