• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Life List (1 Viewer)

Good morning Beverly
While reading your life list about 20 minutes ago, checking to see how many of the birds I have seen, I just saw my first Peregrine Falcon. Gliding and circling around above a few Turkey Vultures.
marcus

How terrific, Marcus! I've yet to see my first wild peregrine. Would be very cool to have it be my next lifer! They nest here in town, so you'd think my chances would be fairly good -- but not so far!

Hi Beverly,
I have just counted my list for the birds I have seen in N. America, in total I have spent 10 weeks there, the list is 488.

Beverly, your name looks familiar. Do I know you from somewhere????? LOL

OK bev, if you don't get that darn 200th bird soon, than I am going to personally fly out there and drive you around untill we find it.....
Bev I have 318 ABA birds now...Can you beleive it....
The interesting thing is, that it is pretty much my year list also, except for a handfull of birds I have seen in Canada.
So I am thinking of going for 500 for the year...It occured to me that maybe nobody has done that in there first full year of serious birding....What do you think??
Riley

Last edited:
Nice list Beverly Not sure about my own but must be approaching 300 in the uk.
I have seen quite a few of your list in the uk but it is the White- Throated Sparrow at Flambourough Head last year that stands as my favourite USA bird so far.

Cuddy

Ps. just checked and there is a White Throated Sparrow just turned up in the Shetlands Scotland, we have a Lesser Yellowlegs in Northumberland at the moment been, here about a week If i send a list can you send us more of your great birds Beverly;)

Last edited:
beverly thats a list to be proud of, tick that shellduck. keep up the birding. rgds bert.

Don't do it Beverly(Shelduck). Don't weaken!

Speaking of unlistables. I was in Naples, Florida last month. You can just about trip over Muscovy ducks in that town. The ABA says they are unlistable because the were introduced. You can count them in Texas, near the Mexican border but not in Florida. I believe the ABA will change its' stance though since they're established and spreading. Heck, they allow Rock Dove and I saw more Muscovys than RDs in Naples!

dennis

Well, I've a couple of birds to add to the list!!

On the Saturday after Easter, I added SWAMP SPARROW, seen at Fox Island here in Allen County. It was just a brief look, but enough to count! And when I think of how many times I've looked in that particular swampy area before......

Then last Saturday, my efforts in the GGBC gave me my lifer LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH!! Hey, I was even the one who spotted it! It was skulking along a snag at the waterline of Rivir Lake at Chain O'Lakes SP. It was a lifer for my friend Lisa, too, so that made it a nice double-whammy!

Riles, any time you wanna come to Indiana, we'll drive around and get both of us some lifers!! There's some nice things to see in western Indiana, and it's only 3 hours to Crane Creek!

And as for counting that shelduck...good grief, a platoon of Listing Police, with Officer Dennis at their head, would come swooping out here, armed with White-Out -- I just KNOW they would! LOL!

Last edited:
Added PEREGRINE FALCON today in downtown Fort Wayne -- six of them!!

Parents Roosevelt and Liberty with their nearly-fledged four babes were easily visible from atop the city parking garage.

And since we calculated that this was probably Generation Nine or so from the reintroduction in 1992, these are definitely WILD falcons and countable (even if they are still monitored and banded)!!

Even got to see a food exchange in mid-air, which was utterly COOL!!

Just got back from Thailand, and boy, did I ever add to my life list. I am currently working on my trip report, which I will, of course, publish in the birdforum, but here a few highlights:
Great Hornbill (dozens)
Hooded Pitta (no Blue Pitta though, which I was after)
Rufous-necked Kingfisher
Pheasnt-tailed Jaccana
and lots more, must have added at list 50 lifers to my list!

I have traveled to the following states: Washington, Texas, Florida, Arizona, New Jersey, Colorado to bird and to visit relatives. I live in Missouri and have birded some in the surrounding states of Nebraska, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, etc. My list total for the "lower 48 states" is 533. My Missouri List stands at 330. My Missouri List for the year 2002 is 289. And the list of birds I have seen in/from yard in Saint Joseph is 130. My wife and I went to Costa Rica on an Elderhostel Birding Trip (it was fantastic) a few years ago. I added some great birds there to bring my World List to 693. This was the only time I birded outside the United States.

Larry Lade

Last edited:
beverly
phew!! thats a list to be proud of. with that and birdman the other week with his list I really am thinking about sorting mine
out its just the kick up the backside I needed, thanks and good
birding.
bert
man is the only animal that blushes and needs to.

Hey Beverly...

So does that mean you're up to 203?

(I think the Red-necked Grebe was 200 up.)

I'm still 30-odd behind you!!!

Beverly, any new spiecies lately?
You need to plan your trip to the Southeastern part of Arizona in April. We hired a guide (from 6 am until 1 pm) and were able to see almost 100 spiecies during 7 hours. I have detailed list if you are intersted but I would have to type a whole thing unless someone is able to help me with finding blank lists on line. Our guide was so fantastic that we are going with his small group to Mexico in February. Anyway, Happy Birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back