• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forum Warbler Year List (VI) (1 Viewer)

Hello all you warbler watchers.

The year is ending, and with it, our first annual warbler hunt. We have done very well indeed! 162 species as per Clement's "Birds of the World, a Checklist". That is 40% of all possibles from that list.

There are still a few days left. If you haven't done so already, please check the lists in the first two posts of this thread for any sightings we may have missed.

Thanks to all that contributed. It certainly was a learning experience for me.

Happy New Year!(a tad early)
Good health and good birds,
dennis

Got a few that may be missing:

Fan-tailed Warbler/Zitting cisticola or have I missed ii in the above list ?
Ashy Prinia
Jungle Prinia
Plain Prinia
Sri Lanka Bush Warbler
Green Warbler

All from, surprisingly, Sri Lanka

Andy

Hi Andy,

The cisticolas and prinias don't count, as they've been split off in a family of their own now. Sri Lanka Bush Warbler (A Cettia, I presume?) will count. Green Warbler - is that Phylloscopus trochiloides nitidus? If yes, then it is just a race of Greenish and doesn't count; if it is something different, it presumably will count.

Michael

Thank you Andy and Michael.

As Michael has stated, cisticolas and prinias won't count as Clements has them in the family Cisticolidae(Cisticolas and Allies).

I believe the Sri Lanka Bush-warbler you saw was Bradypterus palliseri(?), known as Ceylon Bush-warbler on this side of the ocean. Let me know.

Phylloscopus nitidus is regarded(over here) as a seperate species, Green Warbler, and will count. Of course I will check on any recent developments to be sure.

Michael. Clements has Greenish Warbler seperated into 4 subspecies: viridanus, trochiloides, ludlowi and obscuratus. Green Warbler, Phylloscopus nitidus, no subspecies.

Upon Andy's confimation we will be able to add both Green and Ceylon Bush-warbler.

Hi Dennis

Yep Ceylon(Sri-Lanka) Bush-Warbler is Bradypterus palliseri and Green Warbler is
indeed Phylloscopus nitidus so they should both count.

Andy

Thank you Andy.

Both Ceylon Bush-warbler and Green Warbler have been added to the list above. We are now at 164 species.

A member has contacted me with their plans to be birding India during the last week of December. Hopefully that trip will yield a few more for the list. Anyone else birding Central and South America for a Christmas count please let me know of your warbler finds.

Happy holidays to all,
dennis

Good point Michael, any suggestions for next years families anybody. How about Kingfishers or Bee-eaters or Woodpeckers, certainly the latter has a large number to be seen.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Not very many of any of those! Perhaps all 'near-passerines' put together? (i.e., pigeons to woodpeckers); otherwise, I was thinking of perhaps suggesting waders (shorebirds): sandpipers, plovers, etc.

Michael

"all passerines" !!!!!! Michael, you're killing me!

How about this...Clements records 204 different families of birds worldwide. How many can we find a representitive of in 2004? I have 90 represented on my personal list. How about you?

dennis

Sorry Michael. Need to have my eyes checked. What do you think of the "families list" idea?

dennis

I reckon families could be a good one, at a rough estimate I think I've probably knocked around 80 families on the head this year and I haven't even been over the pond this year. I reckon between us all we should more or less clear up bearing in mind the geographic coverage we've got.

Andy

Hi,
This list completely skipped my mind. Here are 9 more for the Old World list from our November trip to the North-east Himalayas where we saw 24 warbler species.
Grey-bellied Tesia Tesia cyaniventer
Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler Cettia fortipes
Yellowish-bellied Bush Warbler Cettia robustipes
Ashy-throated Warbler Phylloscopus maculipennis
Lemon-rumped Warbler Phylloscopus chloronotus
Yellow-vented Warbler Phylloscopus cantator
White-spectacled Warbler Seicercus affinis
Chestnut-crowned Warbler Seicercus castaneiceps
Broad-billed Warbler Tickellia hodgsoni
Cheers!
Sumit

Thanks Sumit.

All will make the list but I have a question or two....

Yellow-bellied Bush Warbler is Cettia acanthizoides in Clements' list. Have any idea why?

Phylloscopes chloronotous is Pale-rumped Warbler on that list. ?????

Clements is a real problem at times.

On another note....Michael was correct about Green Warbler, it is now a sub-species of Greenish Warbler. Good job Michael!! You're the best.

dennis

Hi Dennis,
I think the Yellowish-bellied is recognized as a case of scientific name inconsitency. You are Ok using Clement's, I guess.
I have P. chloronotous as Lemon-rumped in the Annotated Checklist for the Oriental Region by Inskipp, Lindsey and Duckworth. They do helpfully mention that Lemon-rumped=Pale-rumped.
Hope that helps.
Cheers!
sumit

Thanks to Sumit and Gorgon are list has grown. We have now recorded 172 of the world's 404 warbler species(according to Clements).

Once again thanks to Michael Frankis for his aid in "splits and lumps".

dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back