• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your favorite 7x42 binoculars (1 Viewer)

Zeiss 7x42 BGATP. Easy view (wide FOV, long eye relief, low astigmatism but unfortunately significant field curvature) + superb handling (love those long slim almost bridgeless barrels, quick focus).

--AP

Zeiss 7x42 BGATP. Easy view (wide FOV, long eye relief, low astigmatism but unfortunately significant field curvature) + superb handling (love those long slim almost bridgeless barrels, quick focus).

--AP

Hello Alexis,

I agree and I may add that it is way better than my Leica 7x42 BA glass. I suspect that the 7x42FL is lighter but it may not beat the ergonomics of the older binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

My favorite is the Swarovski Habicht 7x42. The reasons are it has higher light transmission than any other binocular at 95%, it is lighter than any almost any other 42mm at 24 oz., it is excellent controlling stray light and ghost images and the build quality is exceptional and way better than most roof's at it's price point and it has the advantage of the 3D view of a porro versus the flat field of a roof which lately I have come to realize is a huge advantage. In fact once you get used to the realistic 3D view of a porro it is hard to go back to the flat field view of a roof even like the Swarovski SV. After using my Habicht I tried my Swarovski 10x32 SV just lately and was really amazed how much I missed the 3D view of the Habicht. The FOV is narrower than some other 7x42's but it so good in other areas like brightness and sharpness it doesn't bother me. Another good thing about the Habicht 7x42 is you can get them for $700.00 new through Bushwear on Ebay with free shipping which is a good deal. Over the years I have had the Leica Trinovid BA 7x42, Nikon EDG II 7x42, Swarovski SLC 7x42, Zeiss 7x42 BGATP and the Zeiss FL 7x42 which were all good roof's but none were as bright as the Habicht. The FL's were the closest. Another good thing about the Habicht's is they will hold their value because they have been the same design for fifty years and Swarovski most likely will not change them, whereas, the SV's are due for a redesign and when Swarovski comes out with the 4th generation SV the 3rd generation will lose value.

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/swaro7x42.html
https://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=695397&d=1558116954

Last edited:
Dennis, Can you post a link to the 96% light transmission test data for the 7x42 Habicht?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi,

Nikon EDG 7x42 ...

1. Flat field
2. Wonderful color reproduction
3 Good sharpness
4. Very good contrast
5. Very good stray light suppression
6. Hardly distortion
7. No astigmatism
8. Built solid
9. Good focuser

I previously had the Zeiss T * FL 7x42, visually I find the Nikon 1 class better, so the Zeiss has found a new owner ...

Andreas

Last edited:
...... and why? (Compared to other 7x42 manufacturers)

I actually do own most of the current/recent 7X42 as this is my favorite format including the Zeiss FL, Leica TrinoviD BN, Leica UVHD+, Swarovski Habicht, Swarovski Swarovski SLC NEU, Meopta Meostar B.1, Nikon EDG, and Opticron Discovery WP PC. My favorite is the Leica UVHD+ and that's the one I use the most. I think it's one of the best birding binoculars out there. The adjustable eyecups function perfectly. The focus adjustment is excellent with the best diopter adjustment in the business. The UVHD+ is really a small 42mm binocular so it's smaller stature is appreciated. It's FOV at 420ft towards the top for a 7X42 and AFAIK only the Zeiss FL beats it. Leica has been making this binocular chassis for quite a while and build quality is excellent. I will also say there is really no good reason for me to have not picked the Zeiss FL or the Swarovski SLC NEU as these are literally just as good as the Leica and it comes down to personal ergonomic preferences for the most part. The FL is a little larger and the SLC NEU a little heavier. I'd be happy with either of those three.

Well before the current Habicht push I went thru the Habicht phase a few years ago and of course I bought a 7X42(along with the 10X40 and 8X30) and set it up with a RYUL harness and away I went. BEAUTIFUL image but narrow FOV. Focus adjustment knob is among the most narrow available(as can be seen in the pic below) and is quite stiff compared to the others. Eye cups are rubber and have two adjustments, folded down and unfolded. For me at least, it didn't compare very well with the other more current binocular models. As a general purpose binocular for the non-eyeglass weaarer it would probably be pretty good but for birding there are many available options that are better.

Attachments

• DSC_0545.JPG
    DSC_0545.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 230
The Leica Ultravid 7x42 HD-Plus is a good 7x42 and the Leica's are good binoculars in general. I have had several in different formats including 7X. My only criticism is Leica has not made a lot of improvements in their new models versus their older models. The Leica BA 7X42 is very close optically to the Leica Ultravid 7X42 HD-Plus although the newer binocular is lighter and more compact. So you can buy the older BA for much less money and get almost the same optics as the UV-Plus. Below is a "Like New" Leica BA 7x42 on Ebay for $672.00. From Allbino's on the 10x42 Ultravid HD-Plus.

"To sum up the Leica Ultravid 10x42 HD-Plus is a very good set of binoculars - almost exactly as good as its direct predecessors and the predecessors of its predecessors too. We hope the next model of this series will be truly different, not a merely refreshed version of the same device with just a few cosmetic changes."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-7x42...959243?hash=item1cc360670b:g:eTUAAOSwADxcDky0

Last edited:
...The UVHD+ is really a small 42mm binocular so it's smaller stature is appreciated. It's FOV at 420ft towards the top for a 7X42 and AFAIK only the Zeiss FL beats it...

Actually, all the old Zeiss models (BGATP/ClassiC, Night Owl, FL) beat it. One other way that the FL beats the Leica, and by a substantial margin, is close focus for butterfly etc watching. For some reason, the close focus of the 7x models in the Leica Ultravid series are not even as good as their 8x counterparts.

--AP

...My only criticism is Leica has not made a lot of improvements in their new models versus their older models...

I understand what you mean by the continuity from the BA Ultra to the latest Ultravid model, but in criticizing Leica as a whole, I think in you are forgetting their Noctivid.

--AP

Leupold Hawthorne. Outstanding resolving power, good color rendition, excellent eye relief, nice compact size and a fantastic price. Made in Japan, supposedly by Kamakura.

Last edited:
The Leica Ultravid 7x42 HD-Plus is a good 7x42 and the Leica's are good binoculars in general. I have had several in different formats including 7X. My only criticism is Leica has not made a lot of improvements in their new models versus their older models. The Leica BA 7X42 is very close optically to the Leica Ultravid 7X42 HD-Plus although the newer binocular is lighter and more compact. So you can buy the older BA for much less money and get almost the same optics as the UV-Plus. Below is a "Like New" Leica BA 7x42 on Ebay for $672.00. From Allbino's on the 10x42 Ultravid HD-Plus.

"To sum up the Leica Ultravid 10x42 HD-Plus is a very good set of binoculars - almost exactly as good as its direct predecessors and the predecessors of its predecessors too. We hope the next model of this series will be truly different, not a merely refreshed version of the same device with just a few cosmetic changes."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-7x42...959243?hash=item1cc360670b:g:eTUAAOSwADxcDky0

I agree the Trinovid BA/BNs are nice binoculars! But I do believe the UVHD+ does offer improvement over the BA/BN series so I got mine out...

https://photos.imageevent.com/chill6x6/stuff/websize/D24A2095-1F9F-4E18-9E68-3A955F3316A83.jpeg

So above is the Trinovid BN and the Ultravid HD+ 7X42s side by side.

https://photos.imageevent.com/chill6x6/stuff/websize/fullsizeoutput_de1.jpeg

The above picture is the UVHD+ with red arrows pointing to improvements over the Trinovid BN. I'll go clockwise starting with the upper left corner"

1. The Trinovid BN uses a two-position eyecup, all the way IN or all the way OUT. Only two positions for the usurer to use unless o-rings are used with is what I do. The UVHD+ features at least 5-position eyecups and are in fact some of the best out there. No o-rings needed.

2. More easily accessible focus adjustment. Only part of the focus wheel is accessible with the BA/BN limiting finger movement. Much, MUCH more is accessible with the Ultravid series.

3. a. Introduction of Schott HT glass
b. HDC multicoating and Aquadura coating for water and dust repellency.

4. Stay-on objective covers.

ALSO the UVHD+ is much lighter- 31.7oz for the Trinovid BN vs. 26.5oz for the UVHD+.

That's all I can come up with for now which IMO is plenty. Now if you had said Ultravid BR....that's another story.

Actually, all the old Zeiss models (BGATP/ClassiC, Night Owl, FL) beat it. One other way that the FL beats the Leica, and by a substantial margin, is close focus for butterfly etc watching. For some reason, the close focus of the 7x models in the Leica Ultravid series are not even as good as their 8x counterparts.

--AP

Thanks for the info on the older Zeiss models. I wasn't not aware of that since I've never owned those or really considered their purchase.

I was aware of the close focus differences between the UVHD+ and the FL but that has never been an issue for me looking at birds and beyond. Since you brought this up and since I all ready had the UVHD+ out I got the FL 7X42 out and measured the close focus for myself:

FL 7X42- 5.5ft
UVHD+ 7X42- 9.75ft

As you said...might be useful for someone that looks at insects.

..... Now if you had said Ultravid BR....that's another story.

Egad, Chuck you certainly make owning binoculars more fun, and informative to boot! Thanks for sharing all the insights with this impromptu inter-leica comparo.

So.... the 7x42 Ultravid BR, can you elaborate on the differences between it and the HD-plus? Does it come down to improved coatings, and perhaps the Schott glass? Maybe an eyecup upgrade as well... (?)

Speaking of improved eyecups, the new Trinovid HD's also have the 6 position detents on them, which seem to be as much as anyone would ever need. The BR has fewer.

-Bill

Last edited:
I agree the Trinovid BA/BNs are nice binoculars! But I do believe the UVHD+ does offer improvement over the BA/BN series so I got mine out...

https://photos.imageevent.com/chill6x6/stuff/websize/D24A2095-1F9F-4E18-9E68-3A955F3316A83.jpeg

So above is the Trinovid BN and the Ultravid HD+ 7X42s side by side.

https://photos.imageevent.com/chill6x6/stuff/websize/fullsizeoutput_de1.jpeg

The above picture is the UVHD+ with red arrows pointing to improvements over the Trinovid BN. I'll go clockwise starting with the upper left corner"

1. The Trinovid BN uses a two-position eyecup, all the way IN or all the way OUT. Only two positions for the usurer to use unless o-rings are used with is what I do. The UVHD+ features at least 5-position eyecups and are in fact some of the best out there. No o-rings needed.

2. More easily accessible focus adjustment. Only part of the focus wheel is accessible with the BA/BN limiting finger movement. Much, MUCH more is accessible with the Ultravid series.

3. a. Introduction of Schott HT glass
b. HDC multicoating and Aquadura coating for water and dust repellency.

4. Stay-on objective covers.

ALSO the UVHD+ is much lighter- 31.7oz for the Trinovid BN vs. 26.5oz for the UVHD+.

That's all I can come up with for now which IMO is plenty. Now if you had said Ultravid BR....that's another story.
"So above is the Trinovid BN and the Ultravid HD+ 7X42s side by side." That is interesting to see how close in size and shape the two binoculars are. The BN's are heavier but that almost makes me think they are built better. The BN's are built like a "Tank" and a lot of the weight is that extra ribbed material across the top of the binocular. A lot of the improvements you mention are convenience and ergonomic which is great but they are not really optical improvements. Almost like the 3rd generation Swarovski Field Pro improvements. The new Leica Ultravid HD-Plus do have Schott Glass which is supposed to give you higher transmission but I have had quite a few Leica Ultravid-Plus, BA's and even BR's and I have never noticed a big difference in brightness. Do you? Allbino's transmission numbers for the Leica 10x42's show higher transmission for the BR's(89%) than the UV HD-Plus(87%). Nice pictures and insight.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Last edited:
In terms of size differences between the Ultra/ Trinovid BA/ BN series and Ultravid BR/ HD/ HD+ series, mnich has previously posted an interesting set of 4 photos comparing a 7x42 BN to an 8x42 UV HD
see: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=308184
I’ve attached the 2 photos that most clearly show the differences in the bulk of the rubber armour coverings

And in terms of the significant weight difference noted by Chuck, the Ultravid’s not only have far less RA, but also magnesium instead of aluminium bodies

I’ve also attached cut-away views of a 7x42 BA and a 7x42 UV HD, and as can be seen the basic optical construction is the same i.e. the number of lenses and groups
However, this does not mean the lenses are identical in terms of dimensions, composition (notwithstanding the HD glass in the latter) and spacing - and therefore performance
When the Ultravid line was designed, and even though it kept the same basic optical configuration, one would imagine that the optical engineers would have tweaked the optics
(how would have they been able to resist the opportunity to do so?)

John

Attachments

• x42 BN vs UV HD, oculars.jpg
    x42 BN vs UV HD, oculars.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 210
  • x42 BN vs UV HD, rear .jpg
    x42 BN vs UV HD, rear .jpg
    472 KB · Views: 124
  • BA 7x42.jpg
    BA 7x42.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Ultravid HD 7x42.jpg
    Ultravid HD 7x42.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
"I’ve also attached a cross section of a 7x42 BA and a 7x42 UV HD, and as can be seen the basic optical construction is the same i.e. the number of lenses and groups.However, this does not mean the lenses are identical in terms of dimensions, composition (notwithstanding the HD glass in the latter) and spacing - and therefore performance.When the Ultravid line was designed, and even though it kept the same basic optical configuration, one would imagine that the optical engineers would have tweaked the optics(how would have they been able to resist the opportunity to do so?)"

I kind of figured by comparing the outside of the two generations of Leica 7x42's that the optical train would be similar even though I know that is presumptuous even though the optical performance is so similar between the two. Maybe Leica figured they got it right the first time when they designed the BA and didn't need to change anything outside of the glass on UV HD which is probably more marketing than anything.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back