• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Hi Dean
the more contributors the better, look forward to your reports.

Today there were about 35 Twite at Bowness Railings again, feeding very close to the road on the tide debris.

cheers Nick

Lots of Brambling still at Talkin Tarn and two large flocks of Redwing between Talkin village and Castle Carrock, Jay and a Raven and a Buzzard was the only birds found at Jockey Shield.
Sandsfield, the big tree at the turn in to Holmesmill farm had a (f) Merlin sitting excellent views,very little on the flooded river, a few Goldeneye and a (m) Red-breasted Merganser, over the other side a few Whooper could be seen in flight over the floodbank.
Ian

Here are a few sightings from the last couple of days in Cumbria:

Jockey shield: 2 Male Black grouse, 100+ Fieldfare, Green woodpecker, Male Hen Harrier, 50+ Jay, 2 Crossbill, 3 Red grouse, 50+ Redwing, 3 Red squirrel, 4 Roe deer.

Castle Carrock resr: 3 Goldeneye (2 Male, 1 Female).

Tindale tarn: 20+ Goldeneye, 20+ Goosander, Kestrel, 2 Mute swan, Reed bunting.

Rockcliffe: 50+ Goldeneye, 2 Goosander (Male, Female), Green sandpiper, 30+ Lesser redpoll, Little grebe, 1st-Winter Female Long tailed duck still, Oystercatcher, 100+ Pink footed geese, 30+ Redshank, 30+ Whooper swan.

Talkin tarn: 1000+ Brambling, 5+ Lesser redpoll, 100+ Redwing.

Attached are some Talkin tarn pics.

Attachments

• DSC_7601.jpg
    DSC_7601.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_7608.jpg
    DSC_7608.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_7702.jpg
    DSC_7702.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_7717.jpg
    DSC_7717.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_7746.jpg
    DSC_7746.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 184
Here are some more pictures (LTD pics - one shows 2 Goosander and the Long tailed duck).

Attachments

• MOV07897 001_0003.jpg
    MOV07897 001_0003.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 183
  • MOV07897 001_0004.jpg
    MOV07897 001_0004.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 189
  • MOV07897 001_0006.jpg
    MOV07897 001_0006.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 189
  • MOV07901 001_0001.jpg
    MOV07901 001_0001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 195
  • MOV07901 001_0002.jpg
    MOV07901 001_0002.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 187
Nice brambling pics Nick.

Female Ring Necked Duck still on Bassenthwaite Lake today, also 7 Pochard, numerous Tufties and Goldeneye.
At Low Mills Dalston, single Meally Redpoll with 7 Redpoll and also big flock of c125 Siskin.
At Sandsfield, Rockliffe Long Tailed duck still late afternoon.

cheers Nick

Last edited:
Long Tailed Duck still present on the River Eden upstream from Sandsfield, also 30 Goldeneye, 20 widgeon, and 20 Twite and 45 Skylark on Demesne Marsh. Before the rain this morning. Still about 150 Brambling at Talkin Tarn earlier in the week.

cheers Nick

I'm visiting Carlisle early next week. Can anyone recommend a good birding site nearby (wheres Talkin Tarn? Anywhere nr Carlisle?).

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam
Talkin Tarn is south of Brampton which is c10 miles east of Carlisle on the A69 is pretty obvious on any map or even a road Atlas once you find Brampton. Still quite a few Brambling present.
other than that drive the 15 miles west of Carlisle to Bowness on Solway there are loads of interesting places along the Solway. at the moment there are lots of Geese at Campfield Marsh RSPB about 2 miles west of Bowness on Solway.

cheers Nick

Thanks for the info. What are the chances of Golden Eagel round Bassenthwaite at this time of the year? I'm also staying close to the river Dalston, does this usually turn things up...Dippers???

Cheers

Adam

Thanks for the info. What are the chances of Golden Eagel round Bassenthwaite at this time of the year? I'm also staying close to the river Dalston, does this usually turn things up...Dippers???

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam,

Sorry, but there is no Golden Eagle at Bassenthwaite. I think you may mean Haweswater which is a 40 minute drive away.. There is only one left now, and at this time of year may be difficult to spot, although it will be around.

There has been a ring-necked duck on Bassenthwaite, but don't know if it is still there. There is also a crossbill flock at Whinlatter Forest which is always worth a walk around.

You are obviously too early for the Bassenthwaite osprey.

Good luck.

Derek

Cheers Derek

Guess I could ahve spent a long time looking for G Eagel at Bassenthwaite!!!! Think I'll try Talkin Tarn and Boweness-on-Solway.

Thanks for advice

Adam

What are the best places to see bullfinches in or around Carlisle? Or even anywhere else in Cumbria.

I've seen them twice at Dalston in the same area - just over the bridge across the river, through a gate to the left and walk on a little bit where there seems to be at least two. The second time I stood for five minutes listening to them piping and even singing very close by.

Ross's Goose with Pinkfeet in 2nd field east of Anthorn Social club c1.40pm, also female Merlin on fenceposts of the same field.

Ross's Goose also flew over the hide at North Plain/Campfield going NW at around 3.30 p.m with c100 Pinkfeet. On the flood 20 Pintail, usual Widgeon and Teal and a few Shoveler.

This morning LT Duck and 70 goldeneye on the River Eden at Sandsfield

cheers Nick

Latest sightings

10th Went to see the Ross,s Goose which was with about 100 Pinks at Anthorn had a distant view before they were deliberately flushed, I then went to Bowness and got the winter Med Gull below the railings that Ronnie Irving told me about, no sign of the Greenshank on the high tide roost at Port Carlisle due to dog walkers so I then went to Sandsfield on arrival I flushed a Green Sandpiper, I scoped the river for a distant view of the female Long-tailed Duck with Goldeneye.
11th Went back to Sandsfield this morning and had a close view of the Green Sandpiper also a single Black-tailed Godwit and many Redshank, a very obliging Kingfisher sat on a post at the end of the beck but no sign of the Long-tailed Duck, then off to Jockey Shield and Forest Head but could not find any Black or Red Grouse also the Hen Harriers did not show but we did find 5 Crossbill.
Ian

At Rockliffe this morning c130 Whooper Swans, Jack Snipe, 6 Goldeneye and a Peregrine.
Late morning Ross' Goose still at Easton but had moved east several fields so harder to view with c4000 Pinkfeet.
This afternoon min 7 crossbills and 40 Siskin at Greystoke Forest.

cheers Nick

No sign of the Ross's Goose today at Easton. However the rather elusive cracking adult Red-breasted Goose that has been frequenting both sides of the Solway this winter was located here today by two visiting birders from the Wirral. Now thats the kind o dip I can cope with ;)

Red-breasted Goose

At last I caught up with this elusive Red-breasted Goose and boy was it worth it,it was with a few thousand Pinks and a number of Barnacle in fields near Easton.
Went to Sandsfield next, 40 Goldeneye 2 Red-breasted Meganser but the Long-tailed Duck or the Green Sandpiper were not to be seen also the Kingfisher was being elusive.
Ian

Not a single Brambling to be seen at Talkin Tarn this morning but did manage close views of a pair of Buzzard.
Not much activity on the Tarn with only a single female Goosander, 5 Goldeneye and a pair of Wigeon of note.
The wooded areas produced 3 Nuthatch, 2 Treecreeper, 2 Long-tailed Tit and a Great-spotted Woodpecker.

Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back