• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 190XPROB (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi guys, does anyone have one of these MANFROTTO 190XPROB TRIPODS & that could give me some knowledge about whether they are any good or not, I will mainly be using for butterfly, moth etc macro shooting & Ive seen It lets you get really low to the floor. I would appreciate your thoughts on this tripod. Ive seen some on Ebay from ASPENSOFHEREFORD for £84.99 for the legs, which Is no problem because I have a Manfrotto 322rc2 joystick head.... Thanks In advance.

Sean.

Hi guys, does anyone have one of these MANFROTTO 190XPROB TRIPODS & that could give me some knowledge about whether they are any good or not, I will mainly be using for butterfly, moth etc macro shooting & Ive seen It lets you get really low to the floor. I would appreciate your thoughts on this tripod. Ive seen some on Ebay from ASPENSOFHEREFORD for £84.99 for the legs, which Is no problem because I have a Manfrotto 322rc2 joystick head.... Thanks In advance.

Sean.
Hi Sean,
I cannot help you with the Manfrotto tripod but i can recomend the Benbo Trekker range for Macro work they are really versatile and once you get used to the setting up process you won't want any other tripod! I have a MK1 Trekker and its very sturdy/well made and you can pick them up on Ebay pretty cheaply too!
Hope this helps
Cheers
Brian

I have a Manfrotto 055 ProB Tripod (also have a Benbo Trekker) but for Butterfly's, Moths and Dragonflies I much prefer the freedom that a Monopod gives you.

I have the earlier 3001XPROB, which the 190XPROB replaces. I like it very much. They both have the ability to position the center column horizontally, which gives you extra flexibility in getting different positions for your camera. The new 190XPROB makes it easier to reposition the center column - you don't have to completely remove it, as you do on the 3001 model.

It has always seemed to me if you going to buy a Manfrotto tripod, you may as well get the "PRO" model (which has the horizontal column option), because it doesn't add all that much to the cost of the tripod, and it can be VERY useful when you need it, especially for macro work.

Last edited:
Hi Sean,
I cannot help you with the Manfrotto tripod but i can recomend the Benbo Trekker range for Macro work they are really versatile and once you get used to the setting up process you won't want any other tripod! I have a MK1 Trekker and its very sturdy/well made and you can pick them up on Ebay pretty cheaply too!
Hope this helps
Cheers
Brian

I've not used the Manfrotto, but I have a Uniloc 1600, which is a heavier version of the Benbo, and it is probably one of the best tripods for macro/nature. However, you must always hold the camera when loosening the main handle. My Benbo Trekker fell to pieces over 18 months and had to be thrown away. But I seem to be alone in that experience! It must have been a Friday afternoon job.

Hi guys, does anyone have one of these MANFROTTO 190XPROB TRIPODS & that could give me some knowledge about whether they are any good or not, I will mainly be using for butterfly, moth etc macro shooting
Sean.

It's early days for me but I have yet to see how any tripod can be any good for butterflies/moths etc. as the x"$*+> things won't stay still long enough to set up.:-C
I have just purchased a Giottos (see thread adjacent to this) and would recommend it for macro

It's early days for me but I have yet to see how any tripod can be any good for butterflies/moths etc. as the x"$*+> things won't stay still long enough to set up.:-C
Exactly my thoughts David, this is why I find a Monopod so much more useful (see my earlier post) you can have the monopod in position and shooting within seconds.

I have just purchased a Giottos (see thread adjacent to this) and would recommend it for macro

Depends. You can sneak up on them when they are sleepy, and catch them then. Or you can stalk them when active. Slow movements will fool many insects. The real problem though is if there is wind, then you have no chance.

Still, I'm always looking for hints and tips. :)

I have the Manfrotto 190PRO and it's a superb Tripod. It folds almost flat for macro work. I have just bought a 141 head for it as well.

Exactly my thoughts David, this is why I find a Monopod so much more useful (see my earlier post) you can have the monopod in position and shooting within seconds.

I echo these thoughts. Unless you are shooting early inthe day (ie dawn time) when most insects are slower and not warmed up from the cold night (and thus sluggish and not going to move far) then a monopod can be a great help - just taking some of the weight off your hands as you hold the lens

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back