• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AVG Free removal (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martin

Hello

I am trying to remove AVG Free in order to install Virgin's own free software but no matter how I try to do it, through Virgin's install or through the control panel, an error message appears saying it cannot complete and to contact AVG support.
I can get no joy through this route and am at present stuck in a loop where every time the computer is switched on, the Virgin program tries to install only to be stopped again when it cannot Uninstall the AVG.
Any ideas please?

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony

So control panel, add/remove programs doesn't work?

You could do a search for the individual AVG files and then manually delete them.

Or a rather drastic solution is a complete system re-installation after saving any precious files.

Nev

Hi AM, Howards suggestion is the best one to follow. I had a similat problem with AVG and even after using uninstall, add or remove, and manually picking off files related to AVG there was still some of there stuff left on the hard drive. The removal tool sorted that out in no time.

Dave

Make sure that you have disabled AVG before you try to delete it as the resident guard will still be running.
Best way to do this is Ctrl, Alt, Delete, then go to task manager, select the processes tab, find AVG, right click and stop process tree. This will disable all AVG processes. you should then be fit to delete.

As in previous post, I would shy away from Virgins Safeguard as it really does compromise performance.

Hawkmoon

Hi Anthony,

If you're still having problems with this try removing AVG from Windows Safe Mode, AVG seems to lock registry entries that it uses, even when you've manually stopped all processes related to it.

Agree with Howard, Avast or Avira are better options now.

Good luck,

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back