• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh/Willow Tit - Forest of Dean, 1 December (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
This bird at the Cannop Pond stoneworks was feeding at a Nyjer seed feeder usually frequented by Siskin.
Is it a Marsh Tit or a Willow Tit, please?
Alan

Attachments

• MarshWillow1.JPG
    MarshWillow1.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 123
  • MarshWillow2.JPG
    MarshWillow2.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 112
  • MarshWillow3.jpg
    MarshWillow3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 86
  • MarshWillow4.jpg
    MarshWillow4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 95
  • MarshWillow5.jpg
    MarshWillow5.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 140
As always I am impressed with the speed of responses.
I'm disappointed but not surprised.
Thanks.
Alan

the feeders in the cannop area nearly alway have Marsh tit, i dont think willow tit have been seen around the feeding stations there.

This bird at the Cannop Pond stoneworks was feeding at a Nyjer seed feeder usually frequented by Siskin.
Is it a Marsh Tit or a Willow Tit, please?
Alan

Marsh Tit.

There is a good article in British Birds this month (Nov 2009 Vol 102 pg 604-616) by Richard Broughton, which draws attention to a feature that was new to me. Check the 'whitish marks on proximal area [base] of upper mandible' on this bird, which is apparently 'lacking on 96% of Willow Tits' and 'appears to be the single most reliable and objective physical feature for separating Marsh Tits and Willow Tits'. He goes on to mention that 'it may be very difficult to see in the field [but] it is often readily apparent in photographs'. It is certainly obvious on this bird.

BR, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back