• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spider Catcher (1 Viewer)

helenol

Yes, I know....but I am in search of a spider catcher.

Doing some ironing earlier on, and the mother of all spiders crawled out of the sleeve of the shirt whilst I was ironing it. Last night on the sofa a spider was sitting next to me.

Now all this is too much for delicate little me to take....

I've seen some catchers, that consist of a long handle (not long enough in my opinion - the handle should be at least 5foot long!) with a set of bristles on the end. Has anyone ever used one to catch the spiders?

I am dreading the next couple of months, they've started coming into the house already.

Yours trembling

Thanks EB. Yes that's what I'm looking for, but it is somewhat on a short handle, maybe I could add another bit on, so it's longer...

Thanks again.

Hi Helen. We had a catalogue through the door from a firm called Betterware. They have the short handled version. My wife has a phobia about spiders but she uses this catcher. John.

Helen, you have my sympathy. I hate the things. I had a spider catcher a few years ago bought from the Innovations shop here in Southampton. Sadly the spider catcher wore out (it was made from brittle plastic) and Innovations is no more.

Little spiders aren't so bad, it's those big black ones that give me the creeps. I have been known to go and sleep in my car before now, because one of those little monsters was in the bedroom...

John N said:
Hi Helen. We had a catalogue through the door from a firm called Betterware. They have the short handled version. My wife has a phobia about spiders but she uses this catcher. John.
Thanks for the info John. I'll let you know which one I decide to buy.

Regards

Faith said:
Helen, you have my sympathy. I hate the things. I had a spider catcher a few years ago bought from the Innovations shop here in Southampton. Sadly the spider catcher wore out (it was made from brittle plastic) and Innovations is no more.

Little spiders aren't so bad, it's those big black ones that give me the creeps. I have been known to go and sleep in my car before now, because one of those little monsters was in the bedroom...
Faith, you have no idea (you probably do) what I went through the other night. One of those mother of all spiders, with the very long legs and huge body that runs quicker than a gold medallist sprinter was in the room. My other half was summoned numerous times to catch it, but the spider kept running back into it's little hole.

Then, later that evening, I saw it...coming towards me. I almost had a heart attack. Other half was promptly called (screamed at, more like). Finally he managed to catch it and put it outside, whereupon I'm sure it ran back in almost straight away.

Then, the night before that, I was sat on the sofa, and one decides to sit next to me!

Whose idea was it to move house and live in these stupid woods! ;)

I am dreading the next month or two when they start coming in...as they already have done.

Last edited:
;) Must rethink my desire to visit the UK............. I have chills just imagining the spiders of which you speak. Yikes!
Michele
Ontario, Canada
Home of fairly small, unobtrusive spiders. And, they creep me out!

We have one of THESE, although we bought ours from Kleeneze, I think, but we haven't had a catalogue for ages. Not sure if Betterware do them, but you can order one online from the above place.

Even I can use it, and I don't like spiders. Also good for flies, etc.

Lest anyone think this is a female thing, I fear spiders and have to get my girlfriend to take them outside. Maybe I should get one of those catcher gadgets for when she's not around.

I try my best to think of them as facinating and beautiful wild creatures but it doesn't really work. Even the author of the New Naturalist Series work on spiders, WS Bristowe, admitted in the intro that the big ones made him uncomfortable. (That's spiders, not girlfriends. :eek!: )

Faith said:
Faith

I am in awe. Harking back to another thread, you are planning to move/ live / work in countries with humungous spiders!
Oooh, just had a thought. What about a frog on a stick?.(o)<

Last edited:
.... I take it that the famous pint glass (empty!!) and postcard trick would involve getting too close??

Ruby said:
.... I take it that the famous pint glass (empty!!) and postcard trick would involve getting too close??
We do use that method. But I can only use it on tiny spiders, no more than, say half an inch total length including legs!

It's the legs wot duz it.

Ruby said:

I suppose it might work if the pint glass had contained whisky/gin/vodka/ Bacardi immediately before being used?

The trouble with the pint glass is when you have to blow on the things to get them to curl up enough to get the glass over their legs.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back